Chapter 6: Amani

The days flew by with Amani busying herself packing everything she would need for at least a month. She started out with four suitcases and her mother helped her get it down to two large ones.

Her mother been more distant towards her lately. When she helped her pack, she didn't say very much about her leaving or anything really. She acted like she wasn't even interested in where Amani was going or what she'd be doing and that really hurt her. She knew her mother didn't want her to leave, but she just wished she could be happy for her.

Jade grinned at Amani from her bed as she watched her try unsuccessfully to cram last-minute items into her suitcase. "So, who's the guy you'll be an assistant for again?"

"Um, his name is Lord Van Blarcum of Stornoway." Amani blushed. She'd googled him and the manor once Benny had sent her a list of important information.

"He's a Lord? He's going to be one of those old rich British dudes."

Amani blushed even harder and shook her head. "He's not old, Jade," she said as she pulled out her phone, pressed a few buttons and showed it to her.

Jade's eyes grew wide at the ruggedly handsome green-eyed man staring back at her. She snatched Amani's phone out of her hand to get a better look. "God damn, he's fine! Girl, you gonna catch feelings!"

"No, I won't. I don't want that. I want to have an adventure not a relationship."

Jade grinned. "A relationship can be an adventure."

Amani laughed and took her phone back. "Shut up. Even if I did catch feelings, he's way out of my league. He's like royalty, for heaven's sake, I'm just the hired help." 

Jade shrugged. "Cinderella was kind of like the hired help."

"Life isn't a fairy tale, Jade."

"Mm, then why do you read this?!" she said, holding up Amani's worn out Duke of Aberdeen novel.

"Because! It's...a good story," she said as she took the book from her and carefully placed it in her backpack.

"Right, so are you all packed now? Your flight leaves in a few hours."

Amani sat next to her friend. "Yeah, I'm all packed. I'm nervous and Mama has been being so distant. She doesn't want me to go," she sighed as tears pricked the corner of her eyes.

"Listen to me, Amani. If this job was in the next state your mother wouldn't want you to go. You need this, girl. You need to get away and be you. You're going to have an amazing adventure. Don't let her ruin this for you." 

 Amani wiped the tear rolling down her cheek and hugged her tight. "Thank you, Jade. Will you promise to look out for Lane and Madden?"

"Of course, they're my little brothers too." She laughed and hugged her back.

That evening they all crammed into Jade's car to take Amani to the airport. It was a silent ride as her brothers and her mother knew the inevitable was coming.

"I feel like we're going to a funeral! We should be happy right now!" Amani teared up as Jade parked the car.

"We are happy, but we're not going to see you for a while." Jade sniffed and hugged her as they got out of the car to help her carry her things into the airport.

Her mother took her arm before they walked into the airport. "Are you sure you want to do this, Mani?"

"Yes, mama, I've always wanted to do this, you know that."

"I know. If your father was still with us, he'd be so proud of you," she whispered as tears streamed down her cheeks. Her mother never talked about him. He was always the one pushing her to follow her dreams. He died right before she went to college, but he made her promise she would keep following her heart.