Chapter 31: Van

Van stared through the glass wall that separated the two lounges. He couldn't take his eyes off Amani and Marie dancing and laughing together on the crowded dance floor. Amani looked like she was having such a good time.

Unlike me.

He sighed and tore his eyes away from the dancing duo to glare at the laughing redhead across from him. Rebecca decided to join his table halfway through the reception. She'd been stealing glances at him and laughing far too loudly to get his attention. This was all part of her little game.

He looked across the room to his mother. She and Gwenivere Fife were smiling and chatting excitedly to each other. He didn't like that smug grin on his mother's face. What else was that vile woman planning?

"Look at those two over there," Hamdi tutted, handing him a glass of whiskey. "Americans." He chuckled and looked down at Van, but his eyes stopped at the crimson-haired woman chatting animatedly across from them. "When did—"

"Yeah, mate. This night just got even better, didn't it?" Van grumbled as he took a drink. He wasn't prepared to speak to Rebecca or be this damn close to her. He'd mentally prepared himself for brunch tomorrow and he thought he could avoid this snake until then.

I should've know better.  

This awkward display would have everyone gossiping, just like she and his mother wanted.

"Let's get out of here. The Mionlach are about to descend into sloppy drunks and grabby hands."

Van chuckled at that. His friend wasn't wrong. When the Mionlach had too much to drink, their reserved demeanor slipped and things turned a bit lewd. He should get Amani out of here before the Mionlach party bled into theirs. She shouldn't be subjected to that kind of revolting behavior. He wouldn't let anyone in the Mionlach touch her.

"Good idea. I've shown my face long enough." He finished his glass and stood from the table to follow behind Hamdi. A slender hand snaked out from the table and wrapped around his wrist. He cringed as he looked at the hand's owner.

"You're leaving already?" Rebecca pouted with her eyes wide and full of feigned sadness. "I hope to see you tomorrow."

Her thumb circled over his skin in a gentle caress and pushed down the bile bubbling in his throat. He clenched his teeth and forced a smile on his face. "I can't wait." He slid her hand from his wrist and turned away from the table to catch up to Hamdi.

He kept his eyes away from his mother. He could feel her disapproving glare piercing his back. He must not have sold his excitement enough. He was doing what she wanted and that should be good enough for her, but he knew it wasn't. She'd have something to say to him about it and threaten the manor again.

He hated this shite. He was going to have to do better tomorrow. He had to play the damn game to keep her claws off his home.

He caught up to Hamdi outside of the other lounge just as Marie and Amani burst through the doors laughing and giggling to each other.

"Marie wait, I-I left my jacket." Amani laughed as she held on to Marie's arm. Her eyes were glossy and red as she looked around the foyer as if her jacket would magically appear.

A small grin spread across Van's face. 

Is my little witch...high?

"Don't worry about that." Marie waved off her worry. "Someone will find it." She grinned and launched herself into Hamdi's arms.

"Someone's a bit wasted." Hamdi chuckled.

Van was still intrigued by Amani looking for her jacket. She was fidgeting with her shirt and trying unsuccessfully to spread the fabric over her back. She sighed in defeat and crossed her arms over her chest.

He didn't know why she'd ever want to cover up that gorgeous body of hers, but it bothered him that she felt uncomfortable. He shrugged off his jacket and dropped it over her shoulders. His heart stuttered when her surprised brown eyes looked up at him and her cute damn cheeks swelled like they did when she blushed.

"Th-thank you."

His jaw ticked and he looked away from her. 

What happened to not letting her tempt you, Blarcum? 

He glared at Hamdi and Marie. "Let's go."

They jumped out of their embrace and Marie burst out laughing. "Alright, Mr. Grumps, we're going." She slipped her arm through Amani's. "Come on, we'll have a nightcap at our place."

Van watched them walk to the waiting car and shook his head. 

Mr. Grumps. 

Marie had never cared about the rules of the Mionlach. She was always misaddressing people and innocently disrespecting everyone's title without a care for prestige or tradition. That was what he loved about her and why they became fast friends after she met Hamdi.

The Mionlach only tolerated her because she was Hamdi's wife and she had an impressive net worth that rivaled the Pruitts. The Mionlach needed her business to prop them up and she knew it.

"Let's go, mate. I think Marie's found a new bestie. That's lucky for you, right?" Hamdi grinned as he slapped a hand on Van's shoulder.

"Shut up. You're supposed to be distracting me. Not encouraging this bullshit," he said, shrugging Hamdi's arm off his shoulder.

"Oh, come on." He laughed. "We'll have one drink, then you can go sulk in your hotel."

"One drink and none of that ganja your wife brings over here. That shite is potent."

"Fair enough, none of that." Hamdi grinned and slid into the car.

Van groaned as he slid in after him to sit next to Amani. There was a small cloud of smoke wafting around Marie. She smiled as she passed the joint to Amani. Amani's eyes grew wide. She shook her head and slowly turned her head to look up at him.

Van pinched the bridge of his nose. "It's fine, Amani. It doesn't bother me."

This night was going to be anything but one drink and going home. He would just have to keep his wits about him.

No smoking. 

He learned his lesson from messing around with Marie's personal stash.

Bloody shite makes me goofy.