Chapter 21: Van

'One with a broken spirit.' 

Why the hell did I say that? 

Amani didn't need to know that he looked for horses like him. The ones that have had their spirit stolen from them.

Van liked going through the rehabilitation process with them. In a small way, it was like therapy for him too. It was something he'd always done since he was young. He found a sense of peace bringing a horse's spirit back to them.

He'd been doing it a lot more these last five years. Ever since he found his ex fucking Declan Abernathy. Declan and Rebecca had been screwing for years all through Van's relationship with her and he finally caught them in the act the night before their wedding.

He clenched his fist, but Amani didn't need to know that. No one needed to know why he acquired the types of horses he did. So why the hell did he tell her? 

There she goes again doing her bloody Jedi mind tricks on me.

She wouldn't understand what he meant anyway. He took a drink of his whiskey and watched the parade of horses on his screen. He mindlessly ignored and viewed some of Rory and Arthur's suggestions. He appreciated their input but sometimes those two acted like they were at a bloody football draft.

Van's heart clenched as he watched a meek brown and white painted horse trudge into the stadium. It held its head and eyes low as the auctioneer trotted it around the racetrack. It gave a heavy sigh and slowed its gait as if it knew there was no point in doing this show. No one wanted him.

I have to buy this horse. How did I miss him? 

He quickly scrolled through the auction list. This horse wasn't listed. He definitely wouldn't have missed those poor stats.

Amani's hand slowly slid across his forearm. Her soft fingers grazed over the hair on his skin as she gripped his arm tight. The feel of her nails sent a zing up his arm and straight to his pounding heart.

"You have to get him," she whispered as she stared at the sad horse on her screen. He barely heard what she said over his thumping heart. It didn't help that little tears pricked the corner of her beautiful eyes.

She pushed away from him, knocking her tablet on the floor as she ran to the window. She pressed her hands against the glass and watched with worry as the painted horse neared the end of its tour.

"Lord Blarcum." She looked at him. "Please." Her voice shook as if she was going to cry. "Don't let him go back to the stables. He looks so lonely," she whispered and looked back at the racetrack as a solitary tear rolled down her cheek.

She...she does understand.

Van tore his gaze away from her and his hand shook as he placed a bid on the horse. He let out a slow breath to calm his racing heart and his tablet dinged notifying him of his successful bid. "I bought him," he said and was rewarded with a dazzling smile that lit up Amani's face. He sucked in a breath and looked away from her to the two groaning men across from him.

"I knew you were going to buy more than three horses today. I had perfect picks for the fourth one and I lost out to this? This sob story? The fucking meek painted—"

"Rory, " Van snapped. "Need I remind you, while I appreciate your input and expertise, I will purchase whatever horse I see fit."

Sometimes that boy forgets his place.

"O-of course, m'Lord." Rory nodded, but kept his eyes and head low.

"Thank you." Amani's voice sliced through the tension.

His heart thumped at the sweet sound and he cleared his throat as he sat back in his chair. He didn't buy this horse for her.

Did I?

No. He was already going to buy that sad soul. She shouldn't thank him for doing something he'd already decided to do.

"You're welcome," he murmured, "but he's yours to train." He added before he could stop those absurd words from slipping out of his mouth.

No, Blarcum! 

The whole point of Operation Rory x Amani was to keep her distracted! Not invite her into his damn world. She'd always be in the stables now.

She gasped. "What? B-but I can't train a horse. I don't know anything about them!"

Rory laughed, grinning from ear to ear. "Don't worry, lass. Arthur and I will help you."

Van let out a breath and hid his smile. Rory was never a disappointment when it came to spending time with a woman. Operation Rory x Amani was still a go. Rory would keep her away from him.