Chapter 49: Amani

Did he just drag me on the dance floor to ask me if I'm easy? What kind of question is that? Who the fuck does he think he is?

Amani glared into Lord Blarcum's glossy green eyes. "I am not answering that question," she growled as they danced around the floor while they both tried to lead each other's moves.

"You will answer me, Amani," he growled back.

"No, the fuck, I won't. Where did that even come from?" she said and refused to give him control of their movements.

"Why are you here? You want to be one of the Mionlach just like Rebecca."

She gasped and her eyes grew wide. "I can't believe you said that." She could care less about being one of these snobby Mionlach and he had the nerve to compare her to Lady Fife. She was nothing like that sneaky bitch. "I'm here because Marie invited me. Not because I want to be a Mionlach. You're obviously drunk to think some bullshit like that."

"You didn't answer my question," he pressed and gripped her hand tighter to force her to let him lead, but she wouldn't give up control. "Tell me. I need to know."

She gripped his hand and dug her nails into his shoulder as she led him around the floor. They were oblivious to the confused stares from the other couples as they danced in a tense power struggle around them.

Amani refused to give him an answer to that degrading question. He was basically asking her if she was a whore. "Why, the fuck, do you need to know that? What does it matter to you?"

"It matters to me because I don't know anything about you."

She let out a bark of laughter. "And you thought the best way to get to know me was asking if I'm a whore?" Lord Blarcum could be just as pompous and snobby like the rest of the Mionlach he hated so much.

"Seemed like a good place to start," he seethed in annoyance. "Amani, this would go much smoother if you just let me lead." He gripped her waist tight and pulled her against him.

She gasped as her breasts pressed against his hard chest. The intoxicating scent of his cologne filled her senses making her body tingle and relax in his arms. She looked into his hard green eyes and the world fell away.

Dear God, what does this man do to me?

"Lead away, m'Lord," she breathed as they moved effortlessly across the dance floor. She felt so at ease, as if nothing could touch her as long as she was in his arms. She'd never felt like this before and she didn't want this feeling to go away.

"Now, answer my question."

"Mm, no," Amani mumbled. She wasn't going to answer him, not if it kept her in his arms like this.

"Amani..." he whispered as he held her hand over his chest, "answer me." His lips grazed her forehead as he held her close.

Amani could feel the soft beat of his heart under his shirt and the way his thumb caressed the back of her hand sent delightful shivers down her spine. In the back of her drunken mind, she knew they shouldn't be dancing like this. They were too close to each other, but it felt so good. Lord Blarcum was such a good dancer. She could stay like this forever.

Snap out of it, Amani!

Lord Blarcum was too drunk to realize what the fuck he was doing and she needed to get him away from her. She pushed against his chest and glared into his heavy-lidded eyes. "I'm not going to answer your degrading question, Lord Blarcum. You're a dick for even asking."

Relief washed over her when he glared back at her and his eyes darkened in anger. "You will give me an answer."

Amani kept her eyes hard on him and pulled her hands to her side. "Go find your fiancée."

His jaw ticked and he clenched his fists at his side. "Enjoy your night, Amani." He growled and pushed passed her.

She let out a breath and hurried off the floor to find Marie. Amani knew that was the only thing she could say to get him angry enough to walk away from her. She couldn't be the one to leave him on the dance floor and embarrass him in front of the Mionlach. She was no one. It would fit better with the gentry if Lord Blarcum walked away from a lowly commoner.

"What the hell was that?" Marie gasped as Amani grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the tables.

"I don't know, but I need a fucking drink and a joint." She needed to calm herself and numb all of these damn feelings. Why did he ask her that question or...or dance with her like that? That man was confusing as fuck and he was going to get himself into so much trouble.

If Lady Fife saw them...

Amani shook her head. She had to stay the hell away from Lord Blarcum.

 She had to stay the hell away from Lord Blarcum