Chapter 10: Amani

Amani blushed as she stared after Lord Blarcum's retreating form. Her skin burned where his fingers touched her and her heart hadn't stopped pounding. 

What the hell was that?

Benny chuckled. "Well, that went far better than I expected."

"That was good? I-I called him Mister and am I supposed to bow to him?" she said and was oblivious to the house staff gawking at her.

"Don't worry about that. I think he can forgive one slip up. And yes, it's proper etiquette to bow to him, but apparently not you." Benny smiled as Gerard began bringing her suitcases inside.

The house staff dispersed around the manor and the fields, except one woman. She stood next to Amani with a bright smile on her face. "That's a good thing, Miss Blake." The woman's light blue eyes sparkled at her. She was no more than fifty or sixty years old and dressed in a simple black frock with a white scarf tied over her greying blonde hair. "I've worked for the Blarcums for thirty year and m'Lord don't like many people. He's certainly never greeted staff like that. You'll be fine."

Amani smiled at the sweet woman. "Thank you."

"I'm Lydia, by the way," she held out her hand to her. "I work in the kitchen."

"It's nice to meet you, Lydia. You can just call me Amani," Amani said as she shook her hand.  Lydia's eyes grew wide and darted to Benny. He just smiled and shrugged.

"Thank you, Amani." The old woman bowed and a slight blush stained her cheeks. 

Amani frowned at her reaction. She couldn't understand why why she was so shocked. "Um, you're welcome?"

Benny cleared his throat. "Come, Miss Blake, let me show you to your room. It's been a long day for you already. I'm sure your jet lag will kick in soon," Benny said as he gestured for her to follow him. 

Amani took in everything around her. The manor was humongous! It was like a small castle. The ceilings were so high and every room had a beautiful crystal chandelier hanging in the center of it. There were various family heirlooms and pictures hanging on the exposed stone walls. Everything looked antique, like she just stepped inside a museum. She was so afraid to touch anything. She was sure just one light bulb was probably worth more than her life.

She followed Benny up a grand staircase and down a long hallway. The floor was lined in dark mahogany wood and covered with a plush ruby rug with the Blarcum family crest embroidered along the edges. She couldn't believe the intricate décor in this place. It exuded money and power in these halls. A slight chill ran over her. The thought of someone having enough money they could have a family crest embroidered into a damn rug unnerved her.

Benny opened a door near the end of the hall and Amani gasped. Her room was insane! She had a wooden four-poster bed with ivory bedding. Burgundy and gold drapes hung from the canopy and tied around the posters of the bed so she could close them if she wanted.

A bay window was across from her bed that overlooked the vast rolling hills of Stornoway. It had a padded seat and a small bookshelf underneath it filled with a few books and plenty of space for new ones.

A private bathroom was to the left of the room complete with a stand-up shower and separate claw-foot bathtub. Next to her bed was a full walk-in closet with plenty of room for clothes and shoes. She was in love. This was heaven!

"Well, I hope you like your accommodations." Benny smiled at her awed expression as she slowly walked in a circle.

"Like it? I love it!"

"I'll leave you to unpack and rest. There's a landline phone next to your bed should you wish to call your family. I'll have your IT kit ready for you tomorrow. If you need anything, feel free to poke about. Any of the house staff will help you, but if you need me, just ring the bell on the back of your door." He pointed to the small black knob that looked like a doorbell.