Chapter 11: Benny

"Did you see the way he looked at her?" Lydia grinned as she wiped her hands on her apron. She picked up two plates from the counter and sat one in front of Benny. She gathered her skirts and slipped onto a stool at the kitchen island next to him.

"I did. I haven't seen that look on his face in quite some time."

"Mm, not since that tart he was going to marry," Lydia grumbled, buttering a roll on her plate.

"Don't call her a tart, Lydie, you know that's not proper."

"I've never been a proper lady, Ben and you still married me." Her light blue eyes filled with amusement. "You have to ask Van about Amani. I want to know what he thinks of the bonny lass."

Benny's heart sank. Van used to talk to Lydia about everything. He used to be closer to her than his own Mum. He'd even call her that sometimes too. It hurt Lydia so deeply when he pushed her away and stopped confiding in her.

"You know he doesn't talk to me much. You and Lady Verana were the ones he told all his secrets to."

Lydia's eyes filled with sadness as she picked at the food on her plate. "I know, I just...he's so unhappy. I thought maybe you could get something out of him."

Benny wrapped his arm around her and kissed her head. "I'll try, my love."

"Thank you." She smiled with  her eyes filling in amusement again. "Now hurry up and eat. He's going to come back from the fields soon."

Benny chuckled at his cheeky wife. She knew exactly how to get him to do anything for her. Those damn eyes of hers got him every time. He didn't think Van would tell him much about Amani, but if it made Lydia happy for him to ask, he'd do it.

"Have you checked on Amani since you showed her to her room? She hasn't come out all day."

Benny nodded. "I checked on her a little while ago. She was sleeping so deep I had to make sure the poor lass was still breathing."

"Oh dear, I'll bring her a plate of food later. She might wake up hungry in the middle of the night." Lydia laughed and her eyes grew wide as she looked out the kitchen window. She slapped Benny's shoulder nearly knocking his fork out of his hand. "He's coming inside! Hurry go catch him at the door and ask him."

"Alright, alright, Van's not going anywhere. Can I just finish—"

"No! Your dinner can wait. Now go," she said, plucking the fork out of his hand and pushing him off his stool.

"Bloody hell, woman," Benny growled, catching himself on the table before he fell to the ground. He looked back at her and she held a hand over her mouth.

"I'm sorry," she peeped, "but you know how he is. You've got to catch him off guard," she said as she shooed him out the door.

He muttered under his breath about how much he loved her to put up with the way she treated him as he walked toward the foyer. He chuckled to himself and positioned himself near the door just as Van trudged up the steps to the manor. He'd do just about anything for the love of his wife and this little task was no different.

"So, what do you think of Miss Blake?"

"What do you mean, what do I think? She's an assistant. She'll do," he grumbled, walking past him to the dining room.

Benny grinned and followed after him. "Well, I think she's quite different from your other assistants. You seem to like her, telling her not to bow to you and all. I like this one."

"You liked all the other ones too," Van said as he sat down at the table and took a sip of the glass of whiskey next to him. "And I don't want her bowing to me or anyone for that matter."

"Mm, and why's that?" Benny implored with a knowing smile on his face. He'd only seen Van act that way with one other woman.

And she ripped his heart apart.

"Because she just shouldn't," he snapped. "You need to tell her I need golf shoes, golf pants and a jumper for the weekend. There's a tournament at the St. Alexander golf range in Edinburgh and my mother is forcing me to attend. She'll need proper attire for it as well," he told him and thanked Lydia for the plate of food she set before him.

"I'll let her know this time, but she's your assistant. You're going to have to talk to her." Benny sighed and left Van to his meal. He shook his head as he retired to the kitchen to finish his supper. He wasn't going to let Van make him the messenger between him and Amani. He didn't have time to be a bloody tennis ball.

"Well, I didn't get much out of him. I tried," he grumbled into his plate.

A warm smile spread across Lydia's face as she placed her hand on his shoulder, "oh he said enough, love." She kissed his cheek. "Thank you for asking.

 "Thank you for asking