Chapter 24: Lydia

Lydia yawned and slowly opened her bedroom door. She froze when she saw Lord Blarcum carrying a sleeping Amani in his arms. She pulled her door closed and peeked through the crack to watch him carry her into her room.

What is m'Lord doing, carrying her to bed? 

She tightened the knot in her scarf and quickly shuffled downstairs to Benny's office.

"Lydia, good morning." He smiled when she entered. She quickly closed the door and peeked out to make sure no one was around.

"What's wrong?" 

She turned around with a grin on her face. "I just saw Van carrying Amani to bed."

Benny nodded. "I did too, but don't go reading into it. You know Van's not one for sharing his heart," he said as he stacked a few papers on his desk and sighed. "And even if he were, Lady Blarcum would never approve of Amani."

Lydia sighed. "But this proves it. He likes her. Van hasn't acted like this since Lady Fife and she was hardly worth his attention. That back stabbing—"

"Lydia! I know you don't like the Fifes, but you can't go around disrespecting their name."

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "It's true. That woman broke his heart and I don't much care what Lady Blarcum thinks," she huffed. "We raised that man. We would know who's best for him and you know bloody well Amani is perfect for him."

Benny chuckled as he crossed the room to gather her in his arms. "Oh Lydie, I know." He kissed her forehead and rested his chin in her hair. "We may have raised him, but that's not our decision to make. Lady Blarcum will do nothing to tarnish that name."

Lydia pushed out of his arms and kept her eyes hard on him. "She's not a tarnish. I can't believe you said that."

"That's not what I meant, love. I shouldn't have said that." He cringed and looked away from her. "You know what I mean. Lady Blarcum would disown Van if he ever attempted to court Amani. He loves this farm too much to jeopardize it."

Lydia couldn't deny Van's love for the manor. It was the only thing that had ever made him happy, but it shouldn't keep him prisoner in a life less than he deserved.

"I know, but it doesn't mean it's right. He's the only child I was blessed to raise," she whispered, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "I just want him to be happy," she mumbled into his chest.

"I know, but all we can do is help him keep the manor."

Lydia nodded, but she wouldn't stop there. Van deserved real happiness. She'd just help him see that. She wouldn't let Lady Blarcum stand in the way of true love. She looked up at Benny and a slow smile spread across her lips. "You're right. That's all we can do."

"No matchmaking." Benny glared, pointing his finger at her.

She gasped. "I would do no such thing, Mr. Auld." She kissed his cheek and slid out of his arms. "I better get to the kitchen, love."

"Lydia," he growled and she flashed him a dazzling smile.

"Love you!" she sang as she closed the door. A devilish smile planted on her face as she walked down the hall. 

Operation Lord Blarcum x Miss Blake is a go

She wouldn't let Lady Blarcum keep Van prisoner. She just had to get him to realize what was more important.

 She just had to get him to realize what was more important