Chapter 58: Van

"Where are we going?" Amani asked as she and Van slowly trotted down a dirt path.

Van smiled and watched her look around the unfamiliar path. He was glad for such a clear night so she could see the way the winding road was lit by moonlight and the small solar lamps hanging amongst the trees. 

He didn't allow anyone in this part of the running range. It was where he came to get away from everyone. He found this place when he was a child. He loved being near the wild horses and he realized his parents never bothered to look for him out here. The only person who ever found his hiding place was his Nana and she had never told anyone. It was their secret. He smiled to himself. He'd been thinking about her a lot lately.

"Lord Blarcum?"

It's because of Amani.

He chuckled and cleared his throat. "This is where I come when I'm feeling...low. It always cheers me up, so I thought it might help you too." He shrugged and a blush burned on his cheeks.

A small smile crossed her lips. "That's thoughtful of you. So you're taking me to your man cave, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess you could call it that."

She giggled and his heart stuttered at the sound. "Oh I feel special. Am I the only girl you've brought to your boys only hideout?"

He shook his head. "No, there was one other woman I've brought here."

"Was it Lady Fife?" she grumbled.

He couldn't help the laugh that burst from his mouth at the envious look in her angry brown orbs. As if he'd bring Rebecca out here. He'd never felt the need to show her this place. "God, no. Rebecca wouldn't appreciate a place like this."

"What makes you think I will?" she said and her eyes grew wide. "Oh my God..." she breathed as her horse came to a stop.

The tree covered path opened up to a vast rolling meadow with horses sleeping amongst the moonlit grass. He watched her eyes travel to the flowered walkway to a small stone cottage nestled on edge of the meadow. She looked at him with her eyes shining in awe. "This is beautiful."

Yes, Blarcum! Good work.

That look on her face was the reason he brought her here. She was just like him. She could appreciate the beauty of this place. A proud grin lit up his face. "Thank you, I thought you might like it."

"I love it," she whispered, looking around again. "It's so serene," she said and rubbed her hands together to warm them.

Van's jaw ticked. She should have gloves on. She was going to get callouses holding those reins in this cold. He was used to this, but he should've paid more attention to her. Those hands should always be soft and callous free.

"Come on, It's cold out here. I'll make you a cup of tea to warm up those hands," he said, riding the short distance to the cottage. He slid off his horse and waited for Amani to do the same. She took a deep breath and slid her leg over the front of the saddle. She looked down at the ground and slowly inched to the edge of the seat with her hands gripping the saddle as if she were afraid to fall.

He bit his cheeks from laughing at the haphazard way she was dismounting her horse. "You need some help?"

She looked at him and whimpered, "yes, it's so far down."

"So, you're not a pro, yet." He grinned as he slid his hands around her waist.

She rolled her eyes and held on to his shoulders. "I never said I was a pro."

He raised an eyebrow and gently lifted her from the saddle. "That smug look on your face told another story," he teased and set her on the ground, but made no effort to let her go.