Chapter 18 (picture of Claire)

Start from the beginning

'This is your home,' he says confused brow furrowed, 'you are not going back to that man!' Mack growls, fingers digging into my arms as he his grip tightened unconsciously.

I flinch but otherwise don't try to make him let go.

Might as well get used to pain now huh?

'No Mack, this was never my home.'

He notices his grip and quickly lets go, dropping his hands down to hold my hands instead as he practically begged me with his eyes to take back what I just said.

'I won't let you go back to him Claire. I won't.' He says in a dead serious voice.

I smiled then, letting his hand go to touch his soft face and to try to smooth out the angry and confused frown on his face, 'You have to Mack,' I whispered, 'I have to.'

'No,' he says shaking his head, 'no you don't,' he practically begs.

I bite my lip to stop myself from saying anything else.

'Why?'

I look away then, 'I... I miss him...' I say meeting his eyes again to show I was serious... when I wasn't.

I couldn't tell him. I couldn't risk his safety and life. I just… can't.  

Letting me go like I just stung him he jerks away from me, the most confused and horrified look on his face that if we weren’t in this situation I probably would have laughed. 'What?' he asks brow furrowed as he looked for any signs of my lie.

I gave away nothing. Or at least hoped I didn't.

'I want to go home Mack, I want to see my father,' I whispered the last part.

'But...' he had no words for what I had said. I mean, what would you say if someone you cared for suddenly wanted to go back to the man who made their life a living hell? What was there to say when you thought she sincerely wanted to go back to him?

Nothing.

'But...' he trails still looking for any signs of me lying before his face pales.

'I'm going home Mack. Where I belong.' I whispered standing up and quickly walking off before he could see my wall crumbling down as tears blurred my vision.

After avoiding Mack like the plague all weekend I soon find myself at school, quickly walking off on him the second the car had stopped and walking head down toward my locker . I shove my things into my locker, taking out only the needed essentials before making my way to the library and knowing I still had about fifteen minutes to pass .

I stop at the bulletin board like I usually do and scan the papers but there was nothing interesting or remotely new. I shrug and quickly duck into the library knowing that Mack will probably try to find me but will never set foot in this one area.

I smirked at the thought with a roll of my eyes before dropping my books into an abandoned corner table far from others and away from any windows. I sit myself down and instead of going over any homework like I usually did I put my head in my hands and stared down at the table.

What am I going to do? How many days do I have to live now? Will anyone care when I die?

Do I want to die anymore?

No.

Jerking away from my serene spot I blanch at my realisation.

No. No! I didn’t want to die. I wanted to live! I wanted… I wanted love.