Chapter 11

'I'm not leaving Claire,' Mack says sternly as we stood in front of the car in the middle of the mountain, a big drop off before us.

Please, I mouthed, brows pulled together in what I hoped to be a pleading way. I needed this. If I was going to talk again it's the only way I can think of without ending up in a mental facility or something.

'No.' He says sternly.

Why, I mouthed frowning now.

'Because, what if you... y'know do something... I'll never live with myself if it's under my account. Hell I wouldn't be able to live with myself period.'

I held his gaze for a moment and knew what he feared and thought. Me jumping off the cliff. To die. For a moment, just a second really, I wondered if I could do that, I wondered if I should. But with the days and weeks that have gone past I'm slowly becoming... a person again. Slowly. Eventually. And then the thought disappeared. I’ve never actually wanted to die. I'm afraid to die. But those days with my father…

I took out my phone then and typed stuff in watching as he read over what said: At least go down to the bottom of the mountain and come back up in an hour. Please.

I watched him carefully and as he looked back up to contemplate me again he finally sighs shaking his head.

'Fine. Half an hour. Half...' he gives me a long stern look and for once I didn't look away until eventually he leant forward to give me a light hug.

'Please, Claire, don't do anything you'd regret,' he begs standing there for a moment longer face strained as if he didn't even want me anywhere near this place and wanted to just go home already.

I won't, I mouth.

'Promise?' he asks.

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes I stick up my pinkie, remembering the old times when we made promises. Ones we never, ever broke. Except for the one I did...

He smiles a little with an exasperated shake of his head before bringing his pinkie to mine and locking it around. At the same time we kissed the joined fingers, pulling away with childish grins on our faces.

'See you in 30,' he says as he opened his car and turned to look at me yet again.

I nodded, offering a small smile and watching as he reluctantly got in the car and drove off very very slowly.

I let out a breath of air and when I was sure he was gone I went toward the rails that separated me from going over the giant cliff. With trembling hands I gripped the rails and hauled myself over but instead of climbing fully over I just sat there, the ice-cold wind biting into my uncovered face.

For a moment I just stayed there frozen, staring at the beautiful scene in front of me, staring at the perfect green of the grass beneath me. I could drop. I could drop and never have to go through the fear of my father ever again. I could drop and feel nothing just like I do when that man is around and hurting me.

But I can't.

Not when I made a promise. Not when things were just getting better. Not when my prince charming is expecting to meet me again tomorrow...

And with that last thought I opened my mouth and screamed as loud as I could. I screamed and yelled and cried until eventually I was standing right at the edge of the cliff. Screamed and yelled about how much I hated him. The monster. My father. Screamed about how much I hated my mother for leaving me behind. Screamed about how much I hated my brother for leaving me. Screamed and cried about everything.