Stories and Soul-Searching

Madran's group tumbled through the door with Elizabeth slamming it shut. The door then vanished, and Madran looked to see everyone's parents still there.

"Uh, hi! We're back!"

Herupā tapped his watch.

"Ten seconds exact."

"Wait, you were timing us? It felt more like several hours in there..."

"Well, I'm never wrong, so time was different."

"Elizabeth, that's a bold statement coming from you."

Margaret glared at Elizabeth, which was met by a smug grin. Then, Philemon got up and walked over to the group and sat down in an empty chair.

"So, Philemon, you're back!"

"Yes."

"Well, what had happened?"

"Do you want the long story, or the short one?"

Kinaru smiled.

"Long, please. You kids, go back home and get some rest. You all look like you deserve it."

Everyone parted ways, and Madran left the Velvet Room and went back to her room. She then checked her phone, which showed that it hadn't even been a minute in normal time.

"Wow, that's convenient."

Madran walked to the kitchen and began to make some coffee.

"Wow, so, that actually happened. Like, this isn't a dream."

"Yes. I feel just as amazed as you are. We got quite a strong taste of things that we might have not known of, if it weren't for Philemon."

"Yeah. I mean, I had my doubts, but seeing his past really kinda wrecked me. Like, that was a model abusive relationship between him and Nyarlathotep. Like, it dinged all of those buttons."

"I would agree. Also, I was reminded of something during our long trek in those catacombs."

"Oh? What is it?"

Madran finished the coffee-making process and began sipping her drink, accidentally scalding her lips.

"OW, DAMNIT!"

"You aren't quite so good at that yet. You should get some ice cubes from the freezer. Anyways, I thought back to the very first time Philemon contacted us in January."

"Ooh, yeah, that was surreal."

"So, what was it that he told us to find again?"

"Huh? Wait..."

Madran, amidst the gentle scent of coffee, thought back to the dream she had.

"Um... it was something about... a Trickster?"

"Oh, yes, that sounds correct."

"He didn't really elaborate on it, and I kinda got distracted once you appeared and stuff."

"Mmm hmm. Well, here's my idea. Once Philemon is available, we should ask him about this Trickster. Then, we may be able to work towards our original goal."

Madran drank her coffee in both physical and mental silence after that, and then finished it.

"Now for the caffeine to kick in..."

"Give it time, dear. It takes about five minutes, so you will be feeling much more, well, awake by then."

Madran walked back to the Velvet Room to see Philemon talking quietly with Elia, Kinaru, and Herupā, while Margaret, Maya, and Elizabeth passed a ball around. Everyone then looked up at Madran.