Over the Edge

Madran's group went up the stairs and found a large, open room. The ceiling was missing, and a horde of transformed shadows hovered above them.

"Yikes, how many of those things are there?"

"Well, if I remember correctly, shadows are just negative human traits, so..."

"Basically, they won't leave."

"Yeah."

Madran walked forwards and felt instantly elated.

"Philemon!"

In front of them was Philemon. However, he was hunched over on his knees, and didn't respond to Madran. He then slowly got up and walked towards the shadows. They all seemed to reach out to them, but were repelled when Sheila utilized a Makouga.

"Hey, wait! We're here! Philemon, please!"

Philemon turned around, with Madran noticing that he was still mask-less. His face appeared to be stained with tears, and he had a very frightened look.

"I...I told you not to come!"

"But, we did! Please, come back to us!"

"No...! I can't-"

"You can't? What's stopping you from walking over to us and leaving your past behind?"

"I am."

Everyone looked over their backs to see Shadow Philemon walking up the stairs.

"You thought you were so smart... sneaking around like that!"

Philemon shivered and backed up. Madran realized that his shadow was addressing him.

"I... leave me alone!"

"Oh, I won't. You see..."

Shadow Philemon shoved a defending Sheila out of the way.

"Why even bother listening to your idiotic little disciples? Your plans were ruined by them, after all."

"T-That's not true! We aren't his 'disciples!'"

Sheila had gotten up.

"We don't blindly follow him. All we do is care for him! He saved all of our lives with this opposite plane. We owe him one, and this is us doing our part!"

"Sheila... Sheila, Sheila, Sheila. Why must you be so blind? It's like that persona of your pulled the wool over your eyes!"

"You're lying! Leave our friend alone!"

"W-Why..."

Philemon stared at Suga.

"Just, live your lives-"

"Philemon, you helped us learn a very important lesson, don't give in! And yet, you're letting something that you can control mess with you?"

"That's right. I didn't choose to be dragged in with Madran's adventure!"

Shadow Philemon looked straight at Madran.

"I never wanted to help Madran's stupid sorority with their drama! What did she see in me? Someone who was good? Someone who wanted to help the world? My, youth are so stupid! No wonder the world that created me is so broken!"

Philemon shook and held his head.

"Even after seeing those memories, you didn't understand... why care for someone so eager to bite the hand that feeds it? You say that Nyarlathotep did so much evil... he was simply the other way around!"

Shadow Philemon cackled.

"I handed everyone's souls over to him! I led many to an unwilling fate! I killed Maya! I caused the end of times not once, but twice! I completely gave up when my friend was sealed away by those idiots! I took, and I took, and I took, and never gave back! I'm no better than Nyarlathotep! Hell, I'm worse!"