An Ice-Cold Heart

Start from the beginning

"Well, that thing won't come about again."

"And yet, you broke it, like so many other promises..."

A distorted version of Maya's voice rang out, and the memory ended. Madran saw that Shadow Maya stood in front of them.

"Long time, no see, Ma-ya..."

Maya backed up and tried to escape, but Margaret blocked her.

"L-Let me go! She's crazy!"

"She's only so because of how many times you've rejected her, Rumor."

Maya slowly turned around to see Shadow Maya staring her down.

"'Let's think positive?' 'It's whoopass time?' What bullshit! All you do is hide your face behind stupidly positive crap so that nobody knows the true you..."

Maya began to shudder.

"Your 'positive' demeanor began to fall apart when you were brought back from the dead by Tatsuya's group, only for them to backstab you and allow Nyarlathotep in again! Why do you still hold onto your friends like that? All they do is use you, and then dispose of you when you're at your worst!"

Maya shook her head tearfully.

"It's only a matter of time before Madran gets a new persona-user and casts you to the sidelines, never to be needed or wanted again!"

"Hey! I would never do that!"

Maya looked back at Shadow Maya, and she continued.

"No wonder your arcana is The Moon. All you do is lie and deceive others and yourself! You're nothing, Maya! You're just another cog in everyone else's system!"

"...No. You're wrong."

Maya's demeanor turned from sad to suddenly mystical.

"Since when have I ever let people toss me around willingly? It's all been fate, catching me in its webs and deciding what to do with me. What you see is all wrong! Tatsuya and Madran would never just use me for my power! They both love and appreciate me, and I won't think otherwise! I feel it's about time for me to get over this complex of mine. You aren't a rumor, or an agent sent to cause me despair! You're me, and I will forever believe that! If you want to spew your venom anymore, then fine! You can go run to your room and laugh at me for all that I stand for. Just know that I am through with being my old self!"

Shadow Maya nodded.

"Oh, it seems that you finally might just understand... I accept your challenge, Maya... meet me, and then we shall decide who stands on top!"

Shadow Maya vanished, and Madran walked up to Maya and hugged her.

"I feel so sorry for you... goodness, all of that bottled up anger. Thank goodness you're letting it go."

Maya hugged back, and then looked forwards.

"I'm through with denying what's been lying so deep within me. Let's go, everyone!"

The group advanced on, and eventually made it to a puzzle room. Maya inspected the room and summoned Artemis. There were several paths that had many blockers on them, and Maya set out to remove them.

"Hey, do you know how to remove these?"

"Well, they have cracks, so..."

Maya utilized a Bufudyne on the block, which broke it but covered the area around it in ice. The process continued, while the rest of the group slipped and slid around.

"Goodness, Rumor, you can just walk on ice like that!?"

"Yep. Hurry along, everyone."

Madran's group, with more difficulty, made it to the end of the ice patch, and out onto more solid ground. Then, after more walking and a few shadow battles, they made it to another door with a special shadow appearing in front of it.