Comfort characters???

So some of you were asking.

I was having a conversation with a fellow cosplayer and I mentioned that L is best boy, and that I'd die for him etc etc and she goes "so he's your comfort character?" And I was like... "comfort... character???"

SO LET ME TELL YOU WHAT HER THERAPIST TOLD HER.

First off, this has nothing to do with 'fictokin' or whatever that stuff is, but when I googled it the first few pages were kinnies.

Basically a comfort character is like a comfort toy or object. They bring a sense of calm and comfort to a person, they make them happy and the fan feels extremely attached. Things to do with that character also manifest as comfort in that persons mind.

It's like a coping mechanism. Fictional characters can literally be a coping mechanism. Apparently it's super common to have a comfort character but people just don't realise they have one.

Something like watching the show/reading the book, listening to the characters voice or soundtracks can bring calm into someone. They see these characters and anything to do with them as an escape from whatever stress they're under. And sometimes objects associated with that character can become a comfort object to the person, like a toy of them, body pillow, maybe a replica of the characters jumper or a replica of an object they use. Or maybe a necklace or ring with the character or characters logo on it will become something the fan can't go without, because the feel the need to have something about that character near them at all times.

This all blew my mind honestly because like???? The last for years of my fandom like make sense now.

L HAS BEEN MY DAMN COMFORT CHARACTER ALL THIS TIME AND I DID'NT BLOODY KNOW IT WAS EVEN A THING?!?!?!

Good lord I wonder now many people have him as a comfort character? If he were real he'd probably have like 70 people crying at his feet for a hug.

Some people fee so strongly that just the mention of the characters can calm them down and that blows the fuck outta my mind. BUT a lot of people are embarrassed about having a comfort character so that's why they either ignore it or don't tell anyone.

Source: my friends therapist.

So I leant a thing. THATS WHY MY OBSESSIVE ASS HAS SO MANY BOOKS ABOUT HIM AND WANTS A TATTOO AND GOES TO GREAT LENGHS FOR HIM. I'VE REALLY BEEN SIPPING THAT DUMB BITCH JUICE FOR THE PAST FOUR YEARS. HOW THE FUCK DID I NOW REALISE????

ITS BEEN L THIS WHOLE DAMN TIME.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that didn't know this.