Its time

Head canon: not saying, it's a surprise.

L was always a rather submissive person. He usually just kept to himself and let people do their own thing, as long as it wasn't hurting him or against the law, he didn't really care.

You were like the interlocking piece of L's puzzle, you fit him better than a tailor made dress, without L, you were nothing.

You loved him from the bottom of your heart, nothing could ever come between you because you wouldn't let it. You and L have known each other for years, he knew all your quirks and traits, so when you were being awfully quiet today, he was a little worried. You were acting very out of character.

He always said that emotions should never come in between the case, but he was really starting to worry.

It seems everyone else could tell too, the whole taskforce was wondering what has gotten into you, why were you acting so distanced.

You sat at the end of the desk, everyone was working and chatting amongst themselves but you just couldn't focus, you had too much on your mind.

"Hey"

You snapped out of your daze to see Misa has pulled up a chair next to you.

"Are you ok? You're really quiet" she asked.

"I'm fine... I just have a lot on my mind..." you replied.

"Hm? Talk to me then, I'm not gonna judge, you can trust me"

"It's just... I have something I've been meaning to do for months now. But every time I try, I just can't. I have a nervous break down and back out. But I really need to do this, it's been bugging me so much"

Misa thought for a moment.

"Well, just think of it like this. If you do it, you'll benefit from it, and those around you will benefit from it" she said.

"I know, but I've never done something this nerve wrecking in my life" you replied.

She was curious, what was so scary that you've been attempting it for months?

"What exactly are you trying to do? If it's something bad then maybe I can help"

"It's not bad... at least I hope not. But it's scary..."

"What are you scared of?" She asked.

"Everything that could go wrong..."

You looked over at L, who was just working on his computer, minding his own business. Looking at him gave you a sudden boost of confidence.

"No... I have to do it..." you said.

Misa gave you a confused look.

"For him..."

Him? She wasn't aware you were dating anyone. She watched as you stood up and walked over to L. Wait, L? Were you dating L? She didn't know, no one in taskforce knew.

"L"

He tuned to face you, and the movement in the room made everyone else look too.

"Yeah?" He replied.

You began to shake, you were so so nervous.

"I-I've been trying to do this for months... but every time I have a nervous breakdown and back out. But not this time... I'm going to do it"

He gave you as confused look.

You grabbed his hands and pulled him to his feet, keeping his hands tightly in yours to try and calm your nerves.

"L, I love you so much. If it weren't for you, I'd be struggling to find the reason to live, you're the only thing that matters to me and if anything were to happen to you, I'd get vengeance and never be able to forgive myself... you mean the world to me, you're the light of my life. I don't care if anyone finds out, now everyone will know that you're mine, and you mean everything to me"

He was confused. What triggered the sudden love speech?

"I... I know you'd be too shy to... and now that I'm actually doing it I understand why. But I also want to do it this way so you can feel special, so you can get the joy instead of the fear. We've been together for so long that I don't ever want you to leave. I love you, so so so much. I'm terrified to do this, but... I have to ask..."

You slipped a hand into your pocket, dropping to your knee as you did.

The whole room watched in shock and anticipation as they figured out what was going on. He threw his hands over his mouth in shock as he realised. You held up the small box, containing a ring you had custom made all those months ago.

"L... will you marry me?"

The room fell silent. You nervously looked up at him, terrified he'd reject you.

But instead, you saw tears.

He couldn't even make the words, just nodded and uncontrollably smiled as tears of joy fell down his cheeks. But I'm heat of the moment, he managed to muster up one word:

"Yes"

You felt so relived, all the fear was replaced with joy, you got up, grabbing his hand and slipping the ring on his finger before he jumped on you and pulled you into a tight hug, sobbing into your shirt.

Misa was the first to clap, she looked like she's just witnessed all her dreams coming true. She NEVER expected you to be talking about proposing.

Soon the rest of the taskforce joined in, even though none of them knew you all that well, since they'd only known you for the time the case was on, they were happy for you.

Even Light, the man that hated L, was willing to admit that it was pretty cute.

You felt L squeeze you tighter and over all the noise you head him mange to say three words that meant the world to you.

"I love you"