165. If you scratch my back

"What are all these kissings worth, if thou kiss not me?" (Shelley)

When there is no complementarity, there is no reciprocation, and a unilateral deed or a one-sided feeling is a disenchantment.

"Quid pro quo."

Giving creates a bond between people and generates an atmosphere of wellness. When people are at ease with their surroundings, they can live in agreement with themselves. When they find peace in their mind, they can subsume fully and tunefully into their environment.

Commonly, granting favor to somebody encourages people to show goodwill in return.

There could be some misgivings, however, about "quid pro quo" or " back scratching." When everything becomes a flat "give and take" or "what is in it for me," it may create a feeling of annoyance, disappointment, and distrust.

When lobbyists say: "You give me the information, I want, and you tell me what I can do for you.", then it can arouse a mood of suspicion. When 'scratching backs' only focus on an exchange of gifts and profits, it may generate dubious situations. Bribery may be straight around the corner.

The fear of being bought off or manipulated every time should not make us paranoiac and build an obstacle to opening ourselves to the others.