39 . Keeping up with the Joneses

Neighbors can be a benchmark to define social status. Demonstration and accumulation of material goods are a way to prove one's socio-economic or cultural superiority. Through conspicuous consumption, the position on the social ladder can be established.

Many want to live in a society of appearances. The world is a show, and the show must be a performance of the wealthy, the beautiful and the fortunate.

The invulnerable, matchless and exclusive live a life like dazzling fish in a scintillating seascape behind glass. Everybody may admire them, nobody can touch them, and there is no fear or guilt of overexposing opulence and fortune. Belair must be able to snub at Beverly Hills with total peace of mind.

The wish to copy paste the glittering fish meets the gnawing and demanding need to keep up the standard of living. Many depend on excessive spending to realize the societal show. They buy gadgets they don't really need, with money they don't have, for people they don't actually care for, while infringing their corporeal and financial capacities, simply to pay doctors and psychiatrists.

In their feverish and unbridled efforts to "do as the Jones's do" they are trapped in a reverse situation that they wanted to escape. By living beyond their means, they feel totally frustrated and consider themselves as failures and damned losers.

Giving up the obsession of sign-values and the subservient fascination of the social pyramid, allows us to set priorities in life, find out the core of our true self and appreciate being "in" the moment.

Rather than continually grumbling about "owning", "not owning" or "not possessing enough", why not delight in the healing enchantment of the little moments of every day.