138. When forgetting the rules of the game

Rules can be followed. They can be bypassed. They can be forgotten. An unwritten law reads: Rules are made to be broken.

Social butterflies like to break limits and rules, especially when they are considered as obsolete. In light of the alleged mothballed regulations, they unwaveringly urge regular alterations, and some of them are prepared to invest time and expertise to make new rules, which have to be adapted to changed realities.

If the rules are endurable, we accept them. Rules can be irritating and frustrating, but without rules, living together is hardly conceivable. Life is a game, and people love games. But games need rules. Most children's plays or guileless entertaining presuppose rules. Without rules, we cannot play, and without play, we cannot enjoy life.

If we don't follow the rules, we must consent that we will be ousted. We are entitled to create new games, though, but if we have insufficient adepts, we stay on the sidelines.

If we find the rules unbearable, we can bend them or bypass them. If we learn how to find the right loopholes to circumvent annoying regulations nothing will be inaccessible. So, therefore, we have to be impeccably familiar with the ins and outs of the rulebooks.

Being caught up in a game without having a clue about the rules, may be extremely maddening and frustrating. Liberty may be so frightening and grueling, that many don't conceal their passion for rules and regulations since these can give a relieving feeling of security and protection.

Pupils may namely prefer to abide by the rules since they feel that it helps them to get a grip on their life. They might be bored asking every time: "Have we got to do, once again, what we like to do?"

Instead of breaking or cherry-picking the rules, many only follow the inner rules, which have been instilled during their lifetime and have subtly permeated their thinking. They value rules, as it offers the ravishment of a securing, ceremonial rhythm in life and it prevents them from breaking free from their cocoon, all the more because freedom can be so scaring and exhausting.

To every rule, there is an exception, which can be given as a consolation prize, especially to those who are forgetting the rules.