Opening New Doors

Start from the beginning

"Well, here we are."

Madran hopped out of the car, granting a slight warning from Travert about not getting out of a car before he had completely stopped.

"So, how have you been?"

"The case that I was working on ended. The person was apparently set up by someone else, and they looked like they had made the fraudulent claim."

"Well, I hope that whoever made the actual claim got sued."

"Yep. I'm working on that now."

Madran nodded and smiled. They then both entered the house, and Madran remembered a bunch since she was last here. The house was weirdly set up, as to where the foyer was on a floor by itself, with a bathroom and closet, and there were two possible ways to go. If you went up, you would go into the area that held the living room, kitchen, and dining room; but if you went down, you would enter the basement.

"Ah, the split level. Didn't they only make these things in America?"

"No, I don't think so. Some American architects might've came over here, however."

Madran nodded, ascending the steps once. If she wished, she could go up two more flights of stairs to reach the rooms. It was probably the least ergonomic house setup she'd ever seen in her life, and she disliked it.

"So, how did the test go in Algebra?"

"It went well. I feel that I got a good score."

Travert nodded.

"I hope so too."

Madran sat on the couch in the living room.

"So, what got you to come here?"

"Eh. I just wanted to visit sometime."

"You know, you could visit whenever you wanted to."

"Well, I DID want to visit on Monday."

"The house was a mess, with interviews and chaos."

"I could've learnt about how to give interviews."

"Well, from what I've seen, writers don't need to do many interviews."

Madran was quiet, but then remembered Nightingale's words.

"I could be called for an interview on the news, or have to interview people for book ideas, the list goes on."

Travert sighed.

"Well, I can get snacks, or something."

He sounded a bit different from when she spoke back.

"It seems that you don't just need me to be on you to rebel."

Madran seemed a bit surprised by Nightingale's sudden appearance, but kept her composure.

"Do not worry, for I am you. It wouldn't make sense for me to not be able to talk. And no, I can't materialize. If you had summoned me first in this world, I could."

Madran nodded, getting up and walking over to Travert. He was intensely OCD about where and when he, and anyone else in the house, ate food.

"So, whatcha got?"

Travert seemed to flinch a bit.

"I have hummus and pita chips."

"Ooh! Yay."

Madran began to devise a plan to get upstairs while he brought out the snack.

"Try to say that you have to use the restroom. Do so, and ask for help. When he comes up, open the door in front of him in the most inconspicuous way possible."