Flower Crown [JAMILTON]

I sit in the field, listening to the grass sway in the wind. As it sways, Phillip laughs as the dog we have chases him. I laugh half-heartedly. I've come this far in life and I know my mother would be proud. I just wish I had someone else besides a four-year-old to share my happiness with.

"Papa!" Phillip calls to me. I wish him perform a trick with Rachel, our dog, and then laugh and run around for a bit.

I lay down in the grass, the cold air soothing me until I feel my eyes fall close. The ability to stay awake with both eyes closed is a fathering ability I've learned in the past year with Phillip. I adopted him when he was three. I can close my eyes without falling asleep.

I listen to his laughter, which stays near-by me, but his laughter is joined by another person.

I jerk up from my resting place on the grass and see Phillip, standing with a girl, laughing. His face is all red and rose-colored. I wonder where the red came from; his embarrassment or attraction towards the girl?

I look around for the girl's parent and I see a tall man walking towards her. I stand up, not wanting to seem like a homeless who just slept while his son sprinted around, waiting to be kidnapped. The man says something to his daughter before coming to me.

He shakes my hand.

"Hey."

I nod at him. And then, I feel something miraculous. My face turns a red color as I stare at the man's chest. I'm not really that tall.

"Hello." I greet him back.

He sits on the grass and I sit next to him. We both watch our children play with Rachel before he turns to me.

"What's his name?"

"Phillip. What's hers?"

"I'm Thomas. Her name is Crystal." I nod slowly, beginning to pick grass from the dirt.

"I'm Alex."

He does something separate with his patch of grass, but I can't tell. I just listen to Phillip and Crystal running around. I find myself picking flowers from the grass too.

A few minutes later, Thomas turns to look at me again.

"This would look nice on you, Alexander." I cock my head at him, a questioning look. He pulls a flower crown out from behind his back, fitting it onto my head. My reaction is embarrassing, but I realize after I do it I couldn't help myself. I giggle.

"You're a prince now." Thomas comments.

I'm silent for a moment.

"No. I'm your princess."

~~~

ooOooOOoohhHhhhh i'm tired