Sipping tea with SissaRomanov

Please welcome the beautifully talented SissaRomanov! If you want to know about history, this is the woman to ask. So wise, almost as if from the future, SissaRomanov is insightful and one of the hardest working writers I have met. 

1. You're entering The York Rose into the Watty Awards this year, tell us about it?

“The York Rose” was a crazy idea that actually came out really well in the end. It’s about the last stages of the Cousins’ War in England, where the center of the story is one of the most intriguing mysteries of History: the Princes in the Tower. It’s from the point of view of Elizabeth of York, the princes’ sister who became a key figure in the whole plot. It has a bit of fantasy as well, since Elizabeth’s mother and grandmother were said to be witches, and her family's legend is that they descend from a goddess. I decided to add this extra because my own family comes from a branch of this House. (No, I’m not a princess.)

2. So far you write history, and from what I have seen and read, you do it quite well. Does it take a lot of research? How do you gather the information?

A lot of research, and not only about the characters, dates and places. I must also consider the traditions, rituals, politics, economy, philosophy, religion, beliefs, science development, geography, clothes, vocabulary… And in the end link it all and add emotions to make it something believable and realistic. I've got books about my favorite era’s society and politics, it helps a lot, and my researches goes from those books to online documents found in public domain websites, reports, pictures, letters, diaries… Years of research. That is a lot of work, very cool. 

3.If you had to choose one other genre to write what would it be besides history.

Sci-Fi. It’s fascinating and challenging. Maybe one day I’ll take the risk.

4.What advice would you give to someone hoping to write in the same era's as you do?

Research and keep researching. Don’t hesitate to research as you write, if you need to, it’s not a shame. Try to understand every aspect surrounding it. Put yourself in the place of the character you’ve chosen or created. I think that's for every genre.

Question 5. Your stories so far are all based around female main characters, are we going to be seeing a main male anytime soon?

Probably. I wanted to write a novel about Thomas Grey, half brother to Elizabeth of York, as a sequel to TYR. But I think Thomas needs more development. I’m still working on him. He is my first choice for male main character because I have a special liking for him. Some readers have asked me to write about Arthur Tudor, King Tut and even Hitler. I think I’ll stick to Thomas. My name is Thomas! 

 Question 6. What is it that draws you to write in your specific genre?

 I’ve always loved History, but I would get so frustrated in most of my History classes! The teachers would only talk about dates, names, places… It was so dull and uninteresting! I wanted to know more, to understand it completely. And now, more than that, I want to make people understand. History is a beautiful thing when it’s well told.

Question 7. How can beginners improve their writing?

Reading a lot. It’s the best way to get started. Practice the grammar and vocabulary. I believe it also helps a lot to play the characters, take their joys and pains and put it on the paper. Also, a friend on Wattpad (a famous orange simian) told me that drabbles (100 words descriptions) are great to practice the writing, and I must agree. Very wise. 

Question 8 . What genre do you dislike?

 I'm not much into Fanfics, I've tried to read but it's a no for me, maybe because of the choice of idols. And I don't read Vampire with too much glitter.

Question 9. If you could meet any of your characters who would it be? What is one question you would ask them?

I'd love to have a cup of tea with all my characters, but I'll pick two: Grand Duchess Maria of Russia (from "Maria Nicholaevna") and Queen Elizabeth Woodville (from "The York Rose"), they are both fascinating women, and I'd ask them the same thing: Would you do anyhting different? Do you regret anything? Can I take a picture with you? Can you please sign my notebook? 

 Question 10. How much planning is involved when you are writing a story?

It's History, so the plot it's pretty much settled, I only need to choose a starting point and know the best time to end it. I just like to plan my characters first, I study their actions, build their personalities... The hardest part is to fill History gaps, but it's quite amusing, because I can fantasize a bit.

Question 11. Would you ever collaborate with another writer?

 I could work with another writer, as long as it's not a demanding bossy person. I'm easy to work with if there's mutual understanding. Of course, I have to like the person's work and style. That is awesome, I would love to see you collaborate with someone. 

Question 12. Challenge Question - Your main characters are female, and your genre is mainly history. Write a 200 word short story about a main male character in the future.

 There was a time when there was only one world and one reality; those good old days are gone. There is not space to dream anymore, not when they are watching us, ready to take over our world.

Three hundred years after the Second War, who would think we would ever go through such horror again? But here we are, warring against our own selves, our alternate beings. We know for a fact we are not a pacific lot, so how would those guys be anything but hostile?

We uncovered the Alternative World, and it was a great move, but they had uncovered us long ago. And they wanted war. Either way, we had our secret weapons too.

The portal slowly opened in front of me, the light was blinding but I didn’t look away. Instead, I saw my alternate being staring directly at me, holding a huge machine-gun; just like looking at myself in the mirror. The “Cal-ternative”, I had to admire that bastard.

“Captain Cal Evans, are you ready?” my superior asked from the transmitter. Ten thousand men armed to their teeth were right behind me, staring at a mirrored army appearing from the other side.

“I’m ready.”

Wow! Please turn this into a full story? 

The York Rose - Brother against brother, cousin against cousin... The crown of England is the final prize. The War of the Roses has begun.

Elizabeth of York seeks protection on sanctuary with her mother, Queen Elizabeth Woodville, and her sisters, after the death of her father and the kidnap of her brother by her uncle, Richard the Usurper. They are also forced by Richard to send their other prince into his keeping, and the royal boys become the central figures of one of the most intriguing mysteries of History: the fate of the Princes in the Tower of London. Among plots, twisted morals, doubtful allies and magic, Elizabeth is only certain of one thing: she was always destined to be Queen of England.

Under the Tiara - Under the tiara there's a pretty weird mind that overflows in poetry time to time.