[110]

110- Zayn

Zayn swallowed as he looked back at himself in the mirror. His disheveled hair had been combed so that it caressed his face softly, looking tamed at least. He was wearing a collared shirt and grey pants. There was a soft knock on his door and he walked out of his bathroom to open it. His mother was on the other side, her hair pinned up, dressed in a blouse and knee-length skirt. She tilted her head and stepped over to him, easily able to see the nervousness on his face.

She stroked his cheek and Zayn closed his eyes, letting himself feel like a little boy who was afraid of a dentist's appointments. He reopened his eyes and exhaled. But this type of appointment was much more scarier.

"It will be alright, it's not like they'll be allowed to walk the streets," she said softly. Zayn took a deep breath and nodded. "Just...facing them again is going to be a little hard. Butch is inhuman, mum, he's a complete asshole-"

Trisha hugged him tightly. "We'll be there, all the way," she said firmly and Zayn relaxed a little. "Will Daniel be coming or has he given statement on video?"

"I don't know," his mother said we pulled back. Zayn nodded slightly and turned around to exit his room, his stomach churning uneasily.

Downstairs, Safaa was arguing with Waliyha that she wanted to come with them too.

"I don't need a babysitter, I'm thirteen, and two, I want to be there to support Zayn," Safaa said with a huff. Waliyha rolled her eyes and plopped down on the couch. "Mum said we're staying so we are. I don't like it as much as you do, but it'll be overwhelming if we all..." her voice faltered as she looked back at them climbing down the stairs. "Hello."

"Hey," Zayn greeted absentmindedly and walked into the kitchen. Louis was perched on the counter, dressed in pants and a white shirt. He was throwing an apple back and forth between his hands, his eyebrows scrunched. The rest of the boys were spread around the table, Liam on his phone, Niall fixing the leg sleeve of his pants and Harry watching Louis. Zayn greeted them softly and they greeted him back. They didn't stare or fuss over him like he'd expected, but instead let him move around the kitchen to get something to eat. He liked the change, it was comfort without it being too much.

"How are you feeling?" Niall asked softly and Zayn poured himself a glass of milk. "Nervous." He picked it up and turned around, hands drumming against the counter as he drank. He put the glass back and bit his bottom lip. "Very nervous," he said honestly.

Liam stood up and pulled him in a hug. Zayn melted into the embrace, burying his nose in the other boy's shoulder. "It'll be fine," Liam assured him softly. Zayn couldn't help but nod a little.

>>>> >>>>>

There were paparazzi everywhere. Zayn felt people tear onto his clothes and he pushed through the crowd, his nerves eating his insides. Being this overwhelmed didn't seem alien, but still strange. It had almost been a complete year since their last ambush. Plus, this wasn't just any kind of paparazzi ambush, this was probably the headline for the next couple of days.

He felt Liam's steady hand on his back and Zayn carefully climbed up the staircase of the courthouse. The crown court would be taking hand this case and all he knew was that the attention would be on him, and he'd be in a room with Tom, Butch and Riley. Robert had apparently already been sentenced to several years of prison for drug dealing, and his previous crimes had aided him in a longer sentence.

The inside of the courthouse was all polished floor, polished wooden stairs and different doors leading to different places. Zayn looked back at his family, his mother, Doniya, and the boys.

"Fucking paparazzi," Louis muttered under his breath. The attorney, Mr. McIntyre, led them towards the courtroom they'd be in. Zayn swallowed heavily, but his nerves dimmed a little when he noticed the little boy in pants and collared shirt. "Daniel?"

Daniel turned away from his parents and his eyes widened. He bolted towards him. "Zayn!"

Zayn got down to hug him back, squeezing the little boy in his arms. "How are you?" he asked as he pulled back.

Daniel smiled slightly. "I'm okay."

Zayn smiled and rubbed his back. "That's good. Are you here...to testify?"

Daniel nodded and his nervousness was clear. "Mum said I could do it on video, but I wanted to see you!"

Zayn smiled softly. "How's school?"

"It's okay," Daniel mumbled. "But not everyone is nice." He looked up at Zayn wth wide blue eyes. "We're going to see them again, did you know? Butch is going to be here." His lips pursed in an upset pout. Zayn assured him the same way he'd been assured; "I'll be here, right by your side," he told him. Daniel hugged him tightly. "I'll be by your side too," he said and Zayn chuckled.

After a few minutes of the boys greeting Daniel and Zayn talking with Daniel's parents, people arriving, the judge arrived. Zayn wiped his clammy hands on his jeans as he sat down. The attorney to prosecute the defendant, which was Mr. McIntyre, was standing in front of him while he sat in the back.

The judge was a lady with dark skin and hazel eyes that swept over the crowd as she walked over to her spot. 

"Bring in the defendant," she said loudly once she was settled, the hushed voices of the people sinking into silence. The double doors opened. Zayn swallowed, Daniel sitting beside him. The little boy leaned up on his knees and looked back. "They're here," he told Zayn and the older boy realized Daniel probably didn't know what defendant meant.

He turned slightly and sure enough, Tom was first being pushed inside the room. He was wearing handcuffs, and was dressed in a suit as well. He looked annoyed, but his expression changed when he saw Zayn. Zayn glared at him, his heart pounding in his chest.

The trial had begun.

>>>>A/N<<<<
QOTC: what do you want Tom, Riley's and Butch's punishment to be?