[105]

105- Zayn

Two days later, Zayn had the worst wake up ever

Two days later, Zayn had the worst wake up ever. He had been up late night watching Fast and Furious 6 so when he finally fell asleep, it was around 4 a.m. The sleep had been unperturbed by dreams, but he felt restless. He woke up 8 a.m. with his eyes glued shut. Once he saw what the time was, he groaned and tried to get back to sleep.

Four hours later, a group of people piled in his room. He was first unaware, deep in sleep. But then he heard someone curse and Zayn's heart clenched. He opened his eyes in the slight dark, just a small beam of sunlight illuminating his bedroom. Someone lurking in the dark wasn't new, and the memory seemed to resurface his fear. He slowly pulled the duvet over his mouth, trying to hide his uneven breaths.

A person turned the lights on and he squeezed his eyes shut, heart beating quickly. None of his family members would turn on the lights while he was sleeping, not even the boys. Especially since there wasn't anywhere they had to be. Nobody could have sneaked inside, Zayn thought in panic. He'd developed a habit to check if the front door was locked properly, just because he didn't want a repeat of what happened at the hospital. And if that could happen at such a public place with policemen, then who knew how easily a murderer could sneak inside a house. Especially if the door was unlocked.

Zayn's panic increased and he braced himself to hit back. If anyone touches him, he is going to tackle them and then scream for help. Liam was as strong as a bull. Louis had enough anger in him. Even Harry wouldn't protest of beating the shit out of Tom or Butch. Zayn tried to swallow the lump in his throat, his nerves on edge. Oh god, this was real, wasn't it? It wasn't a dream.

He'd been so caught up in his own thoughts that when a soft hand stroked his hair, Zayn flinched away. His eyes snapped open and he backed away immediately. His mum smiled sadly at him. "It's okay, it's just me."

And then suddenly Zayn noticed the others, all accounted for. Four boys and three girls, all wearing big smiles on their faces. His eyes fell on the cake in Waliyha's hands.

"Happy Birthday!" they chorused. Zayn relaxed with relief. The relief was so intense that he felt like yelling. Why was he so paranoid? But then his feelings were overcome by a tint of happiness as he glanced at the cake. Being so lonely for so many days, even the slightest attention was appreciated. And Zayn wasn't going to admit that he'd forgotten his own birthday, because that just proved how disconnected from the world he was. He smiled and stretched his arms above his head. "Thanks guys."

He scooted backwards to let them sit down. They all crowded on his bed, moving the duvet away to place the cake.

"Would you look at that? 24 year old," Niall said with a small smile. Zayn looked down at the marzipan cake with Happy Birthday, Zayn! written in red.

"Waliyha and I made it," Safaa said proudly. "It looks good, right?"

"It looks amazing, thank you," Zayn said, squeezing her in a hug. They had no idea how much this meant for him, they had literally remembered his birthday while he had forgot. They were the one's keeping him anchored to the ground.