[27]

27- Zayn
Chapter dedication: @MagicpErson
Vote because Zayn's not a plant...or is he? Hmm...yup, vote.

It was painful. Very painful. Even more than his throbbing cheek. Zayn sighed from where he was sprawled on the couch. It was so painful to wait. Waiting was the worst. Waiting for Butch to announce that they were going, waiting.  Zayn felt sorry for the boys, who'd been waiting for him to wake up from his coma almost two years back. He sat up and kicked his feet on the leg of the coffee table, bored out of his mind. His stomach growled and Zayn threw his hands up in annoyance as he slumped on the couch. Butch had taken Jeff back to the doctor who had helped him out, and set Riley in charge of looking after Zayn, locking the door. And the window. And the back door.
Zayn looked up to where Riley was sitting on the opposite couch, typing away on her phone. Ugh, he missed having his phone. He didn't even know where it disappeared. It was just gone, poof. A pang of longing hit him at the thought of losing it in the warehouse somewhere. It didn't seem like they were going to go back anytime.
"You were in a coma?" Riley asked suddenly, and Zayn raised an eyebrow at her. Her eyes were still glued to the phone in her hands, her brows furrowed.

"Are you stalking me?"
Riley looked up, a tint of red on her cheeks. "No, of course not. Why would I do that?"
Zayn crossed his arms, giving her a pointed look. "How do you know I was in a coma?"
Riley clamped a hand to her mouth. "I said that aloud, didn't I?" She faceplamed before her lips curled into a smirk. "And for your information, it isn't called stalking. I'm just finding out information about this 'little piece of shit' Tom went on so much about."
Zayn let out a dry chuckle, shrugging his coat off since he wasn't freezing anymore. He pulled his legs up and lay down on the couch, head propped on his elbow. "He's an asshole."
Riley raised an eyebrow at him, and Zayn picked at a loose thread in his shirt.
"So, you've been in a coma, had an operation, and also saved a valuable chip." Riley said.
"Yeah." Zayn mumbled. "Some shits always happening to me."
Riley snorted. "You don't say."

Zayn paused, pulling the loose thread too hard, making the thin string break. "What if I wanted to run away right now? Would you let me?"
Riley studied him closely, her lips pressed together into a thin line. "Butch would kill me. So would Tom."
Zayn groaned. "Why do you listen to orders from them? Why would someone get involved with them anyway?"
Riley rolled her eyes. "Tom's my brother, idiot."
Zayn's eyes widened. "Tom's your bother? But you two look nothing alike..."
Riley locked her phone and crossed her arms. "That's what I just said, and no that's because we don't have the same mother. He's my step-brother."
Zayn shook his head. It hadn't even occurred to him that Riley could be related to any of the three guys. Make sense why she's still working with them.
"You enjoy helping out?" Zayn grumbled.
Riley shrugged. "Course. It's exciting and I get paid as well. It's kind of like a job, just a lot more interesting." she furrows her brows. "Except Butch. Sometimes he's okay, other times he's a complete psycho."

She shakes head to get rid of whatever thought that had entered her mind. Zayn sat up, questions swarming his mind. Butch wasn't going to answer them, so why not ask Riley who knew about both parties.
Zayn frowned. "Why are you helping Butch get away with this?"
Riley laughed. "I'd rather be on Tom's bad side than Butch's, you see. If I gotta pick sides, it better be with my back against Tom." Her face darkened. "Butch doesn't tolerate treachery."
Zayn nodded, quickly jumping to the first thing that was bothering him. "Will Butch give me up he gets the ransom?"
Riley lifted a shoulder. "Well, I'm not supposed to tell you that."
Zayn's face falls, and she smiles softly. "But no, he's not going to let you free until after he leaves town. Which won't be until after the bank robbery."
Zayn's heart sank, and his shoulders slumped. He was not going home today. The boys were being tricked into believing he was. Zayn had had an inkling, but now Riley just confirmed it, and the little hope he had shattered. He pursed his lips, his head starting to hurt from all the questions that were still being unanswered.

He hated not to know what would happen to him. Everyday was rocky. The boys were bringing the police with them, right?
Zayn's eyes widened slightly and he clenched his fists tightly. "Butch's not going to kill them, is he?"
He looked up at Riley who was already looking at him with sympathy in her eyes. "I don't know."
Zayn felt the color drain from his face and he clenched his jaw. "Riley, tell me now. What is Butch planning?"
Riley chewed at her bottom lip, averting her gaze from his as she picked her phone up and began to type on it.
"Riley." Zayn pressed, and Riley sighed. "I don't know."
"Fine." Zayn said angrily, sick and tired of it all. He pushed himself off the couch and quickly put on his coat. How was Riley going to stop him anyway? It was true though, he was taller than her and probably stronger than her even though he was slightly sick.

It didn't mean he would hurt her, of course not. But it also meant his slight sickness wouldn't decrease his chances of escapee running away.
"What're you doing? You're sick." Riley said, and Zayn rolled his eyes. Slightly sick.
He walked over to the window and unlocked it from the inside. But when he tried to push open, it wouldn't budge. It was locked from the outside.
Zayn bit his lip, eyes darting around the room to find something that could break the glass. This window was larger than the others and he was sure that if he crouched, he would be able to escape. That word, escape, made his stomach flutter and he felt himself getting more and more determined. Deciding on the chair that was sitting by the kitchen counter, Zayn walked over and picked it up.
Riley jumped to her feet. "Zayn, stop what you're doing. Now. It won't work, Butch'll catch you."
"He's been gone since the morning." Zayn said, flipping the chair over. It was a steel chair. Perfect.

"Zayn, listen to me closely." Riley's voice was urgent. "Butch is not going to tolerate it if you get caught."
"He's not going to kill me, he needs me." Zayn said quietly, hands clutching the cool metal of the chair.
"But he can do something worse!" Riley walked over to him, trying to pull the chair away.
"Why do you care, you think it's exciting and you didn't know me until Monday!" Zayn shoots at her, and Riley avoids his gaze. "You remind me of someone."
"Who?"
"Just someone, okay." Ricky crossed her arms. "Put the chair back down or I will have to stop you the hard way."
Zayn shook his head. He was wasting time, he should get on and over with it. He was about to run forward and throw the chair when Riley stood in front of him, a brown broom was in her hands. She looked him dead in the eye. "Come on, do it."

Zayn turned his attention to the glass. If he could throw the chair a bit sideways it could still break half the glass and miss Riley. He'd have to give the rest of the unsupported glass a little tap, and that would be it. Riley's eyes widened as Zayn lifted the chair and threw it. She did something Zayn had completely overlooked. She lifted her broom and counterattacked, the strength of the throw of the chair sending her staggering backwards. The chair clattered to the floor, and Riley looked up at him with blazing eyes. Zayn was too in shock as he heard keys rattle from the front door. Riley noticed too. The last thing Zayn saw before he blacked out was the end of the broom, a yell in pain getting caught in his throat.

>>>>A/N<<<<
Idk , but I feel proud for updating today haha. Got a new tablet as birthday gift so yeah that could be a reason. I'm glad I did though. It's starting to get exciting.
Thoughts on Riley?
Thoughts on Tom vs, Butch? Who would you prefer?

(And if you choose Butch, 😁😑)
Chapter dedicated to MagicpErson, because she's magical...😌

Haha, adios xx