[84]

84- Waliyha

Waliyha poured Zayn some juice. "Orange, good for your health," she said enthusiastically. Zayn sat up straighter and she handed him the glass. "You up for a movie?"

Zayn pursed his lips, shrugging. "Sure, what do you have?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but Safaa beat her to it. "Jason Bourne!"

Zayn nodded. "Okay."

"Or do you want to do something else?" Waliyha questioned, trying to see if he really wanted to watch the movie or if he was saying yes for their sake.

Zayn stared at the juice, fingers wrapped around his glass. "I don't feel like I'll be able to pay much attention, I'm a bit tired."

Waliyha tilted her head. "You're so vague, just say you're not in the mood."

Zayn cracked a smile. "Okay then." He glanced at the clock. "Shouldn't mum be back by now?"

Safaa shrugged. "She's probably on her way here. It takes time to drive all the way back y'know."

Zayn nodded, gulping down the last of his juice and Waliyha took the glass back from him. "Try to rest. Maybe get some sleep."

Zayn shook his head, fiddling his thumbs together. "Nah, it's fine."

"You've been up all night," Safaa said, climbing on the bed by his right leg. Zayn made som space for her with a fond smile. "You don't need to babysit me too, Saf."

Safaa eyed him suspiciously. "You're not mad at me?"

Waliyha groaned internally. She glared at Safaa with a look that said, way to bring it up!

Safaa just rolled her eyes and turned back to Zayn who was frowning. "I was, but you're easy to forgive. Besides, you were just following everyone else."
He turned to Waliyha. "Though the information would have been very helpful."

Waliyha played with the nail polish on her fingers. "We couldn't exactly tell you that. Mum had already lied."

Zayn's face hardened but he didn't say anything else. Few minutes past in silence before he spoke up again, agitated. "Where is mum? Doniya can't be so far away."

Trisha had gone to pick Doniya up from a friend's house since they'd taken the car. Waliyha cleared her throat. "What do you want with mum? You can just tell us, we'll help you." Safaa nodded her head in agreement.

Zayn turned to her with a defeated look. "I just need her to be here, don't question it."

And Waliyha didn't. Because she knew that whatever Zayn was going through, she might not be able to understand. And Zayn didn't seem to want to explain it anyway.

>>>> >>>>>

After Trisha came back, Zayn fell asleep. Waliyha didn't know what exactly was that he wanted to ask her, but he'd have to do it when he woke up. Right now the three of them had decided to watch a movie while their mother took a nap on the couch. Waliyha crossed her legs, back leaning on the end of Zayn's bed when she heard him groan softly.

Panicked that maybe he was dreaming again, she jumped up and peeked. Zayn was asleep and it didn't seem like the light from TV had disturbed him either.
"Maybe we should turn down the volume," Doniya suggested, fumbling for the remote.

Ten minutes later they heard the bed creak and Zayn had woken up. His hair was disheveled and his eyes were sleepy. He clenched his jaw as he sat up completely, rubbing his eyes groggily. "How long did I sleep?"

"45 minutes," Safaa piped up from the blanket on the floor. Waliyha unplugged Apple TV from the hospital tv as the credits began to roll. She turned to Zayn. "That was a tiny nap. Sleep well?"

Zayn frowned, nodding slightly. "Felt longer, though." He noticed Trisha curled up on the couch, his features softening. "She's probably tired."

Waliyha swallowed, nodding. "Yeah, but don't-don't worry about it." She put on a smile. She wasn't going to admit to Zayn that mum hadn't slept well last night either. She'd apparently had a bad dream about all of them. When the girls had asked, she'd brushed it away as a 'stupid dream'.

"Harry called twenty minutes ago, by the way," Doniya said cheerfully. "We told him you were sleep. Wanna call him back?"

Zayn shook his head, shifting slightly. "No, he probably just reached there."

"You are going to talk to him, right? Holding a grudge isn't good," Safaa pointed out, sitting down at the edge of the bed. Zayn poked her side with his toe. "When did you become such a philosopher?"

"Zayn, I'm twelve, not dumb," Safaa said, rolling her eyes playfully. Zayn's smile dropped and he squeezed his eyes shut, a pained expression crossing his features. Waliyha frowned. "Everything okay? What hurts?"

Zayn shook his head, grabbing the handle of the bed tightly. "Fine fine."

"Zayn," Doniya said strictly, and Waliyha often forgot that she was the oldest. Zayn looked back at her with a stubborn look. "What? I am. Just a bit drowsiness." He put on a smile, but Waliyha could see the pain in his eyes. His knuckles had turned white from grabbing the handle too hard and his teeth were gritted.

"Zayn, you don't look fine," Safaa said, concern in her voice. Zayn closed his eyes, fists clenched. He reopened his eyes, which were glazed with tears. "My leg hurts."

"I'll call the nurse," Doniya said, but Zayn grabbed her hand before she could leave. "Don't. Just give me some painkiller, I'll be fine."

Doniya rummaged through the drawers and plucked out a leaf of Ibuprofen. Zayn took a deep breath, running a hand down his face. "It's like a wave, just fucking comes and goes."

Safaa reached forward to squeeze his hand and Zayn tried to shoot her a smile, but then he closed his eyes again, squeezing her hand. "Doni..."

Waliyha poured water in his glass and Doniya handed her the tablet. Zayn grabbed both things, chucking the tablet in his mouth. After he swallowed it, he closed his eyes again, face scrunched.

"Hey, relax. It won't go away instantly. Busy yourself," Doniya suggested. She sat down in the armchair and Waliyha sat at the edge of the bed, careful to avoid bumping into Zayn's injured leg.

Doniya gave him some cards from the drawer. "Stack these and then we'll play War."

Zayn grabbed the cards tightly, face white. "Not in the mood."

"Sure? It might take your mind off the pain," Safaa told him in concern. Zayn shook his head, taking a deep breath. Waliyha didn't know what more to do. She'd never seen her brother in so much pain, not even when he'd had that infection two years ago.

The girls didn't say much, and Zayn just buried his face in his pillow, lips pressed tightly. Waliyha tilted her head as she stared at him. He was strong though, tolerant. He didn't cry nor did he whine, just swallowed heavily as he endured the pain.

The mental pain was similar in many ways, and Zayn handled it exactly the same way as he did with the physical.

Maybe that was the main problem.

>>>>A/N<<<<
Comment your thoughts please (:

Weekend, yes! First week wasn't that bad, but I guess that's what everyone says at the start of the school year ¯\_()_/¯

PS. Zayn has a deadpool tattoo ❤️👌🏼

xx