[31]

31- Zayn:

Zayn frowned in his sleep as his eyes fluttered open. He groggily looked around him to see that the lights were on and Riley was flying around packing. "What's going on?" he asked, his stomach growling and his mouth dry. Daniel was fast asleep in his arms, his chest rising and falling evenly.
Riley looked up from where she was stuffing clothes in her bag. "Tom's on his way."
"Really?" Zayn asked sleepily, not giving a shit. He was actually looking forward to it.
"Yeah Erik said he tried to scare him to give the location again, and Butch's in a really bad mood and he hasn't slept and he's being so damn annoying-"
Butch walked downstairs wearing a beanie, and a bag was slung over his shoulder. He scowled as his eyes landed on Zayn. "Riley, you were supposed to be ready. He's not even up and the kid is sleeping!"
"I'm sorry that you're such an asshole and wouldn't even help me." She rubbed her eyes tiredly. "I can't do this alone. Butch what's up with you?"
Butch sighed, running a hand through his hair. "This is becoming too much, we have to settle some place away from Tom. I'll talk to him soon."

Riley bit her bottom lip but nodded just as there was a knock on the door. All three people froze in the room and Zayn could feel the tension rolling off Butch's shoulders. He swallowed, walking forward and pulling out the key to Zayn's and Daniel's handcuffs. He picked Daniel up and pulled Zayn up before handing him the boy. Riley wiped her hands on her jeans and Zayn was forced into a clammy little room that was stuffed with clothes and a washing machine. Daniel stirred in his sleep and Butch clasped a hand on the boy's mouth. Zayn pressed his lips tightly. This was maybe Daniel's only chance.
He tried to move, but Butch grabbed his arm tightly, his nails digging into his skin. His eyes showed a clear message- don't fuck this up- and Zayn gulped. He heard the door open and Riley greeting whoever it was.
"Dear have you seen my son? He's about this tall and he has brown hair and his eyes are blue and he has a ball and oh my god, I can't seem to find him anywhere," a mother cried, and Zayn swallowed the lump in his throat.

He couldn't listen to Butch for selfish reasons. If he wanted to hurt him then do it, but Daniel was innocent. It was Zayn's fault he was in this mess anyway, as well as his poor family.
"No I'm sorry, ma'am. When did you lose him?"
Zayn gritted his teeth. Riley was a pretty good liar.
"Last night, and I can't find him ever since!"
"Oh that's terrible."
Daniel lifted his head up and blinked.
"Please tell me if you see my boy, this is my number."
The boy began to thrash in Zayn's arms and Zayn made a final decision. He kicked the door, making it open a bit and set Daniel down. He tried to make it look like the thrashing had made him drop him. Butch's eyes widened and he closed the door quietly, clasping a hand on Daniel's mouth, the boy's scream coming out muffled. Then Butch did something that made Zayn's blood boil. He fucking slapped the kid.

Daniel blinked as he stepped back, a hand coming to touch his cheek. Zayn clenched his teeth and he couldn't help but punch Butch, trying to control all his anger. Butch rubbed his jaw, fire in his eyes.
They heard the door close and Riley opened the door, shrugging. "Thank god it wasn't Tom."
Butch walked out and Zayn knitted his eyebrows. He's not gonna do anything about it?
It was super confusing as Butch grabbed his bag, that scary look still present in his glazing eyes. Zayn gulped, dread starting to grow in his stomach, but he had other things to worry about.
A sob left Daniel's mouth as he began to cry and Zayn's heart sank.
Riley frowned. "Why is he crying?"
"Are you kidding me!?" Zayn exploded. "He's trapped here with two maniacs, his mother is crying and looking for him and to top it off, that bitch slapped him."
Riley's eyes widened, and Zayn wasn't sure whether it was because of the slap or because Zayn just called him bitch.

Butch turned to look at him, eyes still alight with fury. Then his lips twitched and Zayn scratched the back of his head. He was smiling?
It only freaked him out more, and the dread in his stomach began to spread. He'd gone too far. Oh no.
Riley bit her lip, but then she spun towards Butch. "Why did you slap him!?"
Butch averted his gaze from Zayn, and Zayn swallowed the lump in his throat, moistening his chapped lips.
"Because pretty boy thought he could play hero again." Butch shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets and Zayn could see the carefree, unstressed Butch he'd first met. The actor.
Daniel's sniffles pulled him out of his thought and he kneeled down, pulling the boy into a hug. "Shhh, it will be okay. I'll hurt him back for ya." Zayn said, rubbing the lad's back. "H-h-h-he's m-m-m-mean." Daniel sobbed into Zayn's shoulder, and Zayn nodded. "I know, but we're strong right?"
Daniel wiped his nose with his sleeve and nodded. "Right."
Zayn half smiled, kissing Daniel's forehead and picking him up.