[74]

74- Louis
Dedicated to: @RohaYousaf because I can always count on her to comment! Thanks love xx

Louis bit back a grin as he heard the boys whisper. "You know how he is, loves surprises." Ah, Harry was right.

"I bet he thought we forgot, considering no one really mentioned it." Liam.

"Why don't you guys go party, it's not like you have to stay here," Zayn said. "I don't want to be the one holding you back or ruining Louis's birthday this year."

Louis rolled his eyes under his closed lids and somebody poked his cheek. "Did he sleep late last night?" Safaa asked and Louis decided to wake up. He opened his eyes, rubbing his cheek. "What time is it?"

Liam stifled a yawn, stretching his arms over his head. "I think around twelve. You've been sleeping for a long time." He smirked. "And I thought you didn't snore."

Louis' face flushed. "I don't."

Niall laughed. "Nice try, mate. Liam even recorded it."

Louis muttered under his breath. He was gonna get Liam back on that. He looked at Zayn who seemed kinda off today. "And how's our number one patient?"

Zayn rolled his eyes. "Fine," he said curtly. Louis tilted his head. Zayn usually just went on with his jokes. Oh well, maybe he was having a bad day. It wasn't much fun sitting in a bed all day.

Liam cleared his throat. "Anyone want something to eat?"

"Yeah, I'm starving," Safaa commented. She opened the door. "I'm going down to the canteen."

"I'm going home to change, maybe I'll bring pizzas."

Louis placed a hand on his heart. "I forgive you, Lima."

After Liam left them, Louis freshened up. By the time he'd walked back into the room, feeling like he'd gotten a good night's sleep, Niall was showing Zayn some photos in his scroll. "Ireland's been amazing this break."

Louis watched them out of the corner of his eyes as he put on some socks. Zayn was definitely not in the mood for anything, his face too easy to read, especially for him. Louis wondered if Zayn slept at all last night, but he knew the lad would mind if he asked. So he kept shut, instead plopping down in the armchair. "Wanna play Fifa?"

Zayn sighed. "No. Not in the mood."

"That's because I won," Harry said with a smirk, probably having noticed Zayn's dull mood. Zayn smiled stiffly. "Yeah okay maybe that."

"If you're tired, you could always sleep," Louis said with smile, pointing to the bed he was lying in. Uncharacteristically, Zayn didn't respond nicely to his joke.

Instead,he looked annoyed. "Yeah, thanks for the reminder."

"Your leg feelin' okay?" Niall asked, pocketing his phone.

Zayn didn't answer, instead clenching his jaw. "It feels like it's been feeling the past few days, stiff and numb."

"Okay, grumpy pants. Christmas is coming along, maybe that'll cheer ya up," Louis suggested, smiling. Zayn just sighed and nodded.

Nate came around that evening, and this time Zayn wasn't as enthusiastic as he'd been the first time. They went through with the exercises and Nina applied the salve to his back. She said he was making improvement, and Louis had peeked a glance himself to see that indeed the ointment was working. The raw red scars he'd seen the first time had now been reduced to thick scars. A bit more healing and he was positive they would fade away.

As the duo were about to leave, Nina turned to Zayn. "I assume your leg's still numb?"

Zayn shook his head, grimacing as he sat up. Louis guessed moving his leg too much must be exhausting.

"The pain's crawling back," Zayn said with a sigh.

Nina nodded. "That must be because of the exercise, but it's important to move it around. Nate'll fetch some mild painkillers."

Zayn nodded in thanks and the nurses left. Trisha ruffled his hair before bringing the chicken wings to his attention. "Hungry?"

Zayn shook his head, leaning back on the bed and closing his eyes, jaw clenched.

"Food helps keep a person healthy," Liam commented, gaze low as he ate his chicken wings. Zayn opened his eyes with an annoyed breath, shooting him a glare. Louis raised an eyebrow and couldn't help but be curiously. He'd seen the two ignore and shoot dirty looks to each other all day.

"Well this person isn't hungry," Zayn retorted.

"What is up with you two?" Doniya commented, grabbing the Fanta from the table. She shot Zayn a look and he shrugged. "It's obvious I'm having a bad day, Liam just doesn't care."

Liam looked hurt and Louis patted his back, telling him to let it slide. Zayn had his mood changes, up and downs. They just needed to understand them.

But Liam didn't seem in the mood to back down. "Oh I care. I just care more about the reason behind you having a bad day."

Zayn's face flushed and Louis could see the anger in his eyes. He frowned. The reason? So it had been a nightmare. His best guess what that Liam had either witnessed it or that Liam and Zayn had a fight last night after he fell asleep.

"Cut it off you two," Trisha said sternly, covering Zayn's part of the chicken wings and placing them on his over the bed table in case he wanted to eat later.

Both Liam and Zayn shut up, though the tension was clear.

>>>> >>>>>

Louis was lounging on the armchair, eyes glued to the screen. He leaned back and stuffed his hand in the pack of crisps in Zayn's lap. As he watched Weapon X leave his containment, he smirked. "I knew it."

"Oh shut up, I love this guy," Liam said, taking a bite off a chocolate bar. Louis hummed as he ate the crisps. "I love sour cream and union. It's the best taste, y'know." He turned around to see Zayn asleep, mouth open and chin resting on his shoulder.

The roar from the TV startled him awake and his hazel eyes looked fearful a second before they flitted to the TV, body relaxing. Louis made eye-contact with him. "Sleep, I'll lower the volume," he said softly.

Zayn nodded at him in thanks and snuggled into the covers, closing his eyes. Louis grabbed the crisps and the remote, lowering the volume. When everyone turned to him in confusion, he jabbed a thumb at Zayn.

Waliyha sighed. "He needed it. Looks like he didn't sleep well last night."

Louis nodded in agreement. The door opened and he turned to see Harry stepping inside. "Hey, where've you been curly? You missed out the best part." His smile dropped as he watched Harry's pale face. The curly haired boy threw a glance at Zayn, relaxing slightly. "Nothing," he piped up, though it was clear something was wrong. Harry had never been a good liar.

"Spill it, Hazza," Liam demanded and Louis nodded in agreement. What had happened now?

>>>>A/N<<<<
Short but what do you think will happen?
Comment and vote for a double update! 😉

CRUEL MV 😍 OMG ZAYN JUST ASDFGG I LOVE HIM SO MUCH

(: xx