[85]

85- Zayn

Zayn missed the boys. It had only been three days since their departure and four days since Tom had made a reappearance. In this time, Zayn had been bored, he'd asked how the hell Tom made it in, after getting the full story he was yet again bored, and he had been bored.

Now as he waited for anyone to wake up, listening to Drake, Zayn played with his hands absentmindedly. He hadn't talked to any of them, declining Harry, Louis and Niall's calls with a short text pretending to be one of the girls. Liam had still not tried to contact him, and as much as he wanted to, Zayn wasn't going to make the first step.

He'd made up excuses to the other boys, of sleeping or eating, although he suspected that they knew he was ignoring them on purpose. He needed to get over this by himself. Zayn wasn't even sure what this was, sleeping two hours in the night, always feeling like the door was about to burst open, but he knew it was his own paranoia. And he needed to overcome it. That wouldn't work with the boys comforting him and sweet talking him that everything was going to get better.

The last three years had been a blur, and something out of a crime book. Zayn was going to admit that he was proud of himself for being alive. Looking death so many times in the eyes, he'd been sure several times it was the end. But looks like the author didn't want that. Rubbing his tired eyes, Zayn pulled out his earbuds with a tired yawn. The sun was peeking through the curtains and Safaa had started to stir. She sat up groggily, hair disheveled and eyes half closed. Zayn chuckled as he watched her futile attempt to push close the curtain with her foot. Safaa turned to him, shielding her eyes from the sun. "Hi, how long have you been awake?"

Zayn wrapped the wires his headphones and shrugged. "Just a couple of hours." He put on a smile as she narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Mum said we're supposed to make sure you slept."

"I did," Zayn lied. He didn't want to tell her how he could never sleep with the girls in here. He just didn't feel relaxed. He'd tried listening to soothing music, tried pretending his second pillow was a person, but it didn't work. Instead he was left using up his phone battery through the night. He'd finished a book and watched two Hunger Games movies.

Safaa looked at him skeptically before shaking her head and standing up. She yawned and stretched, poking Doniya's sides.

"Let her sleep," Zayn said, sitting up straighter. "I know you just woke up, but could you just get me breakfast?" He asked softly. Safaa perked up and nodded. "You're going to eat?"

Zayn shrugged. "You're acting like I don't eat, which I do. I just wasn't hungry last night."

Shooting him one last skeptical look, Safaa walked out the door. She then walked back in and grabbed her slippers. "This hospital feels like a second home, bro."

Zayn forced a chuckle at her statement, feeling a pang of sadness wash over him. His family was so used to hospitals by now they slept there and roamed the hallways in their pajamas. Zayn shook his head, trying to clear negative thoughts out of his head.

His mum arrived hours later with spicy biryani in a box. Though his stomach was grumbling for a meal, not having eaten one since the day before yesterday, Trisha refused to give him some before he took a nap. Zayn shook his head, exhausted but hungry. "Mum, I've been eating bread since yesterday, I'm hungry."

Trisha sighed, looking at him disappointingly. "Zayn, why don't you sleep? I know you're having bad dreams honey, but refusing to sleep is bad for your health."

"I do sleep," Zayn replied sulkily. He wanted to tell her how he could never sleep with the girls, but then again, he didn't want to be demanding his mum to be sacrificing all her nights to spend at the hospital. "I promise to sleep after eating," he said sincerely. He was tired and sleep was something he'd been craving all morning.