[47]

47- Louis

Louis watched as Daniel stuffed his mouth with the rice Trisha had made. He licked his lips and emptied his glass of water. "It's a little bit spicy, but it's very good. Thanks!"
Trisha smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. Louis was buzzing to bombard Daniel with questions. He wanted to know every single thing.

"Who were the bad guys that kidnapped you and Zayn?" Niall asked, pushing away his plate. None of them seemed to have any appetite except for the kid.

Daniel began counting on his fingers. "Riley, Butch and then later we met up with so many more bad guys. I just remember Robbie and Tom." Daniel looked sad. "Butch was the worst, he was always mean to Zayn and me." The child sniffled and Harry gave him a tight hug. "It's over now, you're safe. You'll be home soon."

Daniel nodded, rubbing his eyes with his finger. "But Zayn isn't." He glanced at Trisha. "I miss my mom very much, I know Zayn misses you too."

Louis cleared his throat, wanting the bad feeling he was having to go away. The lump in his throat, the feeling in his gut, the swarming of his head. He wanted it all to just stop.
He was sick and tired of it, but most of all he was sick and tired of always failing, of never having any luck.

"Is-Is Zayn okay?"

There it was. Liam just had to ask the question everyone had been thinking. It was now out. Louis already knew from Daniel's face that the answer wasn't pretty.
"Don't," Louis said quietly. He wasn't sure if he could bear knowing how Zayn was and then not being able to do anything about it.

"He's okay," Daniel answered unsurely. For a ten year old boy, he sure knew how to get someone's attention. Or maybe he wasn't trying anyway.

Louis frowned. "What kind of okay? The good or bad?"

Daniel shook his head. "Uh, the good. Butch was very mean to him, but he's okay now."
Even though the words were coming out of a six year old's mouth, Louis's shoulders slumped in relief.

"Butch didn't hit him or anything, right?" Harry asked. "How's his cheek?"

Daniel looked around the kitchen. "It's a nice kitchen."

"Daniel..." Niall glanced at him warily. "How much did Butch hit him?"

Daniel shrugged, looking down at his hands. "I-I don't know."

"What do you mean?" Liam stared at him with a scowl. "It's nothing serious, right?"

"I don't know!" Daniel his his face behind his hands and began to cry. "I'm sorry, but I don't know. I heard him screaming! I don't know! It was his back, but I don't know for sure! I just want to go home," he sobbed, the words bubbling out of him. Trisha wrapped her arms around him and pulled him in a hug. Louis felt numb. He felt bad for scaring the kid, but he was too worried.

"God, I can't take this anymore!" Liam tugged at his hair, face set in a scowl. Niall buried his face in his arms and Harry rubbed Daniel's back, looking like he'd seen a ghost.

I heard him screaming!

Louis pushed himself off his chair. "I need to get some fresh air."

He didn't wait for a response as he left the kitchen. He threw on his jacket and stuffed his feet in his shoes before leaving the house. He bumped into Doniya who greeted him, Safaa and Waliyha were behind her with groceries in their hands.

"Hey," Louis greeted back.

"No luck?" Waliyha sighed.

Louis shrugged, glancing up at the blue sky. "I really don't know anymore. We found someone else."