Chapter 36: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

Начните с самого начала

I continued to cross my arms, stewing in my own anger. I understood what he meant, but at the same time, I was still mad. I didn’t know why, though. He had proven that he did it for a reason—and I suppose I was pretty mad. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to wait for a good time to tell me. I also supposed that he’d been faithful. I mean, he hadn’t told anybody, and that was my main concern with telling him. And now, I had one more person that I trusted on the inside. I suppose that if I did want anyone to know, then I wanted him to.

I sighed.

But still…

“But how did Alex find out you know?” I said, the question popping up in my head, “Why didn’t he tell me in spite of you?”

He paused, his eyes getting darker. He ran a nervous hand through his hair, “Well, about that, I um…”

“I mean, no offense or anything, but he hates you! He’d want to tell me if you told him not to!” I barked.

He frowned, twiddling with his thumbs, “Well, this isn’t exactly how I planned to tell you.”

I raised a brow, confused. “Tell me what?”

Before I could react, move a muscle or complain, there were two hands cupping my face. I had no time to speak because in that moment, two lips were pressed against mine softly and fragilely. My eyes shot open in surprise and a warm blush heated my face in all the time it took for him to pull away.

“Tell you that I love you.”

Oh crap, that just came out of nowhere.

My whole body went stiff, unable to move a muscle, and my blood went too cold for me to even blush like I normally would. I sat there, paralyzed, unable to move, only stare at Kale in disbelief while he stared back at me with total sureness of himself.

“I love you, Sam. I’ve loved you for 9 years.” Kale said, straightening his posture so that he looked even more sure of himself, “I told Alex I knew your secret, but only as a way for him to stay away from you. I didn’t want him going anywhere near you—he’s a bad influence, Sam. Being friends with him is one thing, but if you two were…romantically involved, it’d be something totally different.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Not only did Kale love me, but he’d loved me since we were in second grade. An incredibly hot blush burnt my cheeks. Why hadn’t he told me? Why, in all those years, hadn’t he talked to me once? And how could he have loved me when there were all those other girls, flocking all over him? All these years I’ve been madly in love with him…he’d loved me back? It seemed impossible to even consider. But it was real, and I was living it.

“But…” I said hoarsely, “Why didn’t you ever talk to me?”

He shrugged, his face tinting a light shade of pink, “I was nervous.”

I nodded, considering that. That made sense; it was pretty much the only reason that I didn’t talk to him. But I still was curious about other things. “But what about when I bumped into you on the last day we went to school in Florida? You forgot my name.”