Chapter 8: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

Start from the beginning

“Anything wrong, Sammy?” Aaron asked, cradling his cheeks with the palms of his hands, raising a brow curiously.

I frowned, “N-Nah,” I lied, “Just a little sad that Kale’s out sick.” That part was anything but a lie. “And Alex’s ‘jokes’ aren’t making it any better.” I snapped, narrowing my eyes at him.

Alex crumbled up the tin foil that once held his sandwich and scowled back at me, “Hey, don’t be mad that I didn’t take into account the ‘Kale McCann fan club’s’ feelings. McCann’ll get better. So don’t get your britches in a bunch.” He said, tossing the tin foil over his shoulder ignorantly.

“I’m just saying it was unnecessary.” I snapped, “Can you feel bad for anyone other then yourself for once?”

Alex looked as if he was pondering that for a moment, up until the point where he gave me a solid, blunt, “No.”

“Oh no. Are you two gonna start going at it?” Drake snapped.

“Yeah,” Parker added, propping his elbows on the table, “It’s bad enough when Kale’s here and fighting with Alex. Now we gotta get it from you two?”

I frowned, “Sorry.” I muttered.

Aaron rolled his eyes, “Whatever, guys, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that Kale gets better,” He said, beaming.

“Yeah, sure, why not.” Alex scoffed, grimacing even at his own sarcasm.

Aaron ignored him yet again and turned to me, “Do you think he caught it from what you had yesterday, Sam?” He asked, cocking his head to the side.

I frowned, “O-Oh, I doubt it.” I said shakily. More proof of what a terrible liar I was, “I saw him once yesterday, but didn’t really talk to him much.” I said. What was the truth was that I wasn’t sick, just sick to my stomach. I’d discovered that Alex was an even bigger asshole then he’d led me to believe. Not that I was surprised. He did shock me a lot.

Aaron shrugged, “You’re probably right.” He sighed, laying his head down on the table.

Parker’s eyes lit up, drawing almost all of our attention to him immediately. “Why don’t we all visit him today after lunch?”

I grinned, totally on board with the idea. I almost tripped over myself trying to get all my words out, “Y-Yes! I agree!” I cheered, “We should get him flowers, too!” I said, smiling a mile long.

“Wow. You really sounded girly there.” Drake laughed, falling over himself with giggles.

“Leave ‘em alone.” Alex said sharply, surprising all of us. Especially me. There was a long moment of silence, one that no one wanted to break only to get pounded by Alex. I felt my face getting hot for reasons I didn’t know of. Was he really defending me?

Then, all of a sudden, his cold blue eyes shifted up to me, “It’s not his fault he’s so girly.” He chuckled.