Chapter 9

~~10:48 pm ~~

o   Dante

I led Carol out of the little sea of dancing partners and brought her to the table I found her at moments ago.

As she sat down, I squeezed her hand. “Thank you for the dance,” I told her, smiling.

She gave a reciprocating smile lined with gratefulness. “It’s… It’s nothing, You’re very welcome.”

I hesitated for a split-second. Don’t do it, don’t do it, don’t—

I bent down a bit and briefly kissed the back of Carol’s hand.

Well, damn. Talk about weird.

Carol looked very surprised. Her cheeks seemed to glow a bright red. I grinned at her, hoping I’d pass as subtly humorous rather than romantic. She gave a small laugh, which I took as a sign that I was safe from suspicion.

“I’ll…I’ll see you later, I guess,” I told her, standing up straight and letting go of her hand.

Carol nodded twice. “Okay. See you. Thanks for dancing me.”

“No problem.” I turned around and walked off to the washrooms, feeling happy and frustrated at the same time.

Reaching the men’s washroom, I turned on the tap, cupped some water in my hands, and washed my face. Looking up at the mirror, I glared into the eyes of my reflection.

Damn it, Dante. Just forget Carol, all right? There’s no point trying anymore. Stop hoping. Just forget about her.

Drying my hands on a paper towel, I exited the washrooms and tried to find Angel. Scanning the room, I found her at the table I left her at earlier, watching the people still dancing to the music of ‘You And Me’ by Lifehouse.

Making my way through the crowd, I reached her table and cleared my throat. “Angel.”

She glanced at me, her eyes lighting up upon seeing me. “Dante, hey.”

“Care to come with me, err, outside? Just to get some fresh air?”

“Oh, okay. Sure.”

She stood up and we squeezed our way past a pool of people to get to the exit of the Home Food Inn.

Once outside, I sat on the pavement, close to the parking lot. Angel sat down to my right.

“I had a great night,” Angel was smiling very openly, “How about you?”

“Me too,” I replied with a glance in her direction, “Did anyone else slow dance you?”

“Yes, Martin did, after you danced me.”

I smiled smugly at her. She noticed this, and she squinted her eyes.

“Martin, huh?” I smirked.

“Will you give it a rest?” Angel snapped half irritably, half laughingly.

“So, he’s why you had such a great night,” I kept teasing her, finding her reactions amusing to look at.

“No!” Angel protested, hammering my arm with a fist, “Well, not that he didn’t make any part of my evening great… It’s just that I found other things more satisfying.”

“I see.”

“You really aren’t going to let this go, are you?”

“Hmm. Nah.”