BLUE: Episode 6.3

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" She blinked, seeing how the two boys briefly glanced at each other and back to her. "What's wrong?"

Knowing Deuce didn't have the guts to bring forward their questions, Ace bluntly spoke. "Who are you?"

Mayumi's eyes widened at the bizarre question. "Huh?"

Seeing her shock and perplexity from the auburnette's words, Deuce stepped forward to clarify. "Ms. Mitsuri found some...weird information and we wanted to see if you can explain it..."

He suddenly looked anxious when he noticed a bit of Mayumi's uncertainty. "W-Well if you can!! If not that's–!"

"It's fine, Deuce." Mayumi interrupted as she released a small sigh of defeat.

Ace and Deuce looked at her in surprise. They were kind of expecting her to deflect their questioning like usual.

"Eh?"

"I'll tell you two what you want to know." Mayumi spoke as she stared up at the boys with bright fuchsia eyes holding great trust. With all the troubles the three went through together, it seemed right to open up.

"It's about time I reveal the truth."

'Yeah because then they won't stop asking.'

"Huh?"

Mayumi smiled slightly at their stunned postures as she picked up the tea Deuce brought for her. "Go on. What do you want me to answer?" She took a sip of the tea and smiled at the flavor of chamomile.

Ace and Deuce glanced at each other for a brief moment, silently agreeing on what to ask.

When they looked back at the ravenette, only a single question left the girl stunned.

"Are you a zombie?" Deuce innocently asked, making Ace facepalm.

"That wasn't what we agreed to ask!"

"But you were thinking about it!"

Mayumi chuckled, making the two stop their bickering. The two widened their eyes a bit. When was the last time they heard the girl release such a sound? It felt so long but they were relieved to hear some light in the girl.

Calming down, Mayumi smiled as she gazed at the two. "I suppose you mean to ask if I am dead?"

The boys remained silent, suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the way she worded it. That is what they wanted to ask, but hearing it out loud made them realize how outlandish the question really sounded.

"Y-Yeah..."

Staring down at her tea, Mayumi silently asked herself how Ace and Deuce came to the conclusion of her death. What did they see in the Infinity Fortress?

What did they see to make Mitsuri stay down there?

"I'm not dead. I'm very much alive as you can see. But..." Mayumi hesitated with her next words, unsure how to properly reveal it without sounding weird. 

"Do you two believe in reincarnation?"

Ace and Deuce blinked in confusion. "Huh??"

'Dumb and Dumber.'

'Don't say that.'

'Yes, ma'am.'

Mayumi gave them a sad smile as she put her tea down. Patting the empty spaces beside her, Ace and Deuce obliged and sat by her, knowing they would be dropped with a life story they never expected.

"I lived 100 years ago when demons still roamed the night in my world. At that time, I went by a different name, Masami Kocho. I, along with my sisters, were Hashiras, the highest rank possible in the Demon Slayer Corps. That was my first life. I was then reborn into my second life as Mayumi Kocho. So no, I am not dead."