"Very well. I'll see you in The Valley, Madi kom Louwodakru."

"In The Valley, Won ogeda kom tona Tagons."
(One with many names)

I clipped the walkie back and sat there in silence. Madi wasn't wrong. But for some reason I didn't feel like myself. And for a second, I realized how heavy the world had truly gotten. How mad it had driven me and everyone within.

Nameless.

Bloodmoon.

Demon.

Songbird.

Bitch.

Atlys.

Shadow.

Murderer.

Hope.

Villain.

Liar.

Wanlida.

The White Wolf.

Major.

Skaikru.

Riskiwe Natshanakru.

Sonchakru.

Shila.

Seda.

Death.

Native.

Fika.

Peh-rse inni.

Pers.

Persphyni.

Queen.

Smartass.

Persphyni Atlys Kane.

"Vlákas." I leaned my head back on the tree and looked up to see the color of the sky begin to lighten.

When this was over, I want to settle down on a nice plot of land and just be.

Maybe return to the ways of villages without kingdoms. Where everyone relies on someone else. Traders and merchants. A community square where everyone gathers on Sundays to sing, dance, feast, just spend time together. Bloodshed nearly nonexistent save for a few drunken brawls. And everyone has a voice when whole valley decisions need to be made.

That is the life I look towards once The Valley was ours.

I hope it might be possible.

How unfortunate.

_______•*•*•*•______

I stayed in the tree as I heard the ruckus coming from the men atop the ridge. Commands voiced loudly as gunshots began to ring out. The shrill ping of metal filters through the air.

The Rover.

I watched the pillboxes, both having been reinforced a few hours prior, as a large cannon-like gun was pushed to stick outwards.

I climbed down the tree waiting with baited breath. Whatever Madi's plan was, I only hoped it didn't involve our people being blown up.

And I guess I was right.

I was thrown backwards into another tree trunk as a loud boom came from pillbox B. The cannon exploding and sending a wave outwards. My ears ringing slightly as I stood up, leaning on the trunk as I stared at the raining debris.

More gunshots followed, the machine gun of the rover whaling on the upper ridge.

I took a shaky step forward as the machine gun fire stopped allowing the criminals to return fire. I shook my limbs out as I watched another cannon gun poke out of pillbox c.

"Oh fu-" I dropped to the ground, hands over my head, as the blast came again. More prepared as the debris rained down once more. The pillboxes and the people by the pillboxes obliterated.

It was silent, too silent. I rose again, this time coming to the edge of the tree-line. I knew they had only two cannon-guns here at the ridge, but Death knows there was someway to blow more things up if necessary.

I looked at the rubble where the pillboxes once stood, a grin crossing my face as I rested against another tree.

Then I heard it. A soft war cry which echoed throughout the gorge, other shouts and hollers joining it.

Wonkru was coming.

Gunfire filled the air- from below in the gorge to the top of the ridge. I could hear the shouts of panic coming from whoever was in charge of these troops. A viscous smile on my face as I heard the words I so desperately wanted to hear.

"Retreat! Go back to the village."

Footsteps came towards the village. Some falling as they were shot down by Wonkru below.

However. None of them would be making it down the path to reach the village.

Because none of them, would be making it past me.

Just as I've done years before, I stepped into the path determined to not let the invaders breach.

Only there was no gate nor drop ship I was defending, but my future I was protecting.