12

The camp or village looked like a scene from that wonderland fairytale, only death had arrived.

Bright streams of color decorated the trees and homes. All connecting them to one another through the fabric. Wreaths and other handmade decorations hung from branches and sat on the ground.

It was remarkable. It was also quiet.

I continued through the village, Clarke trailed behind me as she took it all in. My body leading me towards the center of it all where I knew I could find my answers.

The smell of nature and pine vanished under the mask of decay and death.

Stepping further into the center, I heard Clarke stifle a gasp as she saw the bodies. Their red blood dried on the outside of their skin showing it was radiation that had been the weapon.

We were quiet as Clarke and I went separate ways. She went up towards the door of a building where a young boy laid hunched over while I walked towards a section of clearing where ash lay on the ground.

I pulled my bag off as well as my cloak then got to work.

I dragged log after log towards the fire circle, tossing them on the ground before grabbing more. Once I had a large enough stack, I began to set them in order to burn the bodies.

It took me two hours, but when I was finished I was ready to send these people off. From the ashes we will rise, right? I rolled my eyes at my own self as I stood and nudged Clarke.

"You think you could get the fire started?" She nodded quietly before waiting until I moved passed her.

She may not have known these people, but I know she was upset by this. I think the only reason she is upset is because this could have been us.

"I've forgotten how many bodies we've burned since we've been down here. It makes me wonder if we're next." I stopped and turned halfway to face her.

"Clarke." She turned her head to make eye contact with me. "I won't let it happen. We're in this together. And once they get back, we're all in this together." She nodded still refusing to speak.

I sighed deeply and turned back around to keep walking towards the building she had come out of. The one with the little blonde boy. The building reeked of death.

I walked passed the little boy and entered the door. My eyes blinking as I bore witness to the decaying bodies. This would have been me.

Puss and red blood coating my skin as the slow decay of my body rotted from the inside out.

I would have been one of these corpses. But I wasn't. And I don't plan on letting anyone else be for a long time.

_______•*•*•*•_______

"It's been 58 days. By now, Monty should have the algae farm producing. How bad does it suck? No offense, Monty." I snorted out a laugh as I dug through my pack. My hands closing around the water canteen I needed to refill.

"We found berries. A whole field of them. Well, Pers really was the one who found them. But I helped. Sorta." I chuckled at the memory.

If falling over a tree root and rolling down a hill only to land ten feet from the berry bushes was her helping, then sure, Clarke helped.

"They're not very sweet, but they're beautiful." I reached over the table to grab her canteen and mouthed to her.

So they're like you- only more beautiful.

She gapped at me as I held back a laugh. The berry in her hand hovered from her mouth as she frowned.

How dare you. Rude much.