76

"Bellamy. If it comes from me, she'll see it as a direct threat to her throne. You and Echo have to go in and tell Octavia. Tell her the plan has changed, with Monty now unable to hack the eye, we need an inside source." I whispered discreetly as we walked back through the abandoned ruins to reach Echo's tent. "You have to convince her that this is the best way." I pulled out a small computer chip from my pocket, sliding my hand into his.

"What is that?" He asked as we continued to walk forward, my head leaning on his shoulder as I explained.

"Monty set it up. This will open up the back door to Diyoza's system, giving us control from here to their camera." Once he had grabbed the chip I slid my hand away to rest on his upper arm while he slid his hand into his pocket, safely hiding the device.

"So all we have to do is get inside their ship and attach this to their mainframe?" Bellamy asked, I pulled my head from his shoulder and looked up at him. Catching the movement behind us and nearly rolling my eyes. Octavia's spies were horrible.

"Yes, Monty said get through the firewall and he'll do the rest." I slid my hand back down to hold Bellamy's. "I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact, infiltration is my favorite spy operation. But I'm needed here. Lyla and Molly won't risk defecting with Spring. And I don't know how many gunners I'll have to take out when Diyoza's ship does come." I sighed. "This may be a divide and conquer mission. Only this time it's planned. The Mountain was a whole different story." I tried to make light of the situation but we both knew what was being asked of us.

I had to stay here and protect these people from Blodreina. Bellamy and Echo had to go to Eden and save Raven, Murphy, and Emori as well as hack into Diyoza's computer system.

Two situations which could lead to death.

"Echo knows what to do with the 'jump drive' as Monty refers to it. You just have to convince Octavia to let you go."

I stopped us in the shadows of a ruined building a few meters from Echo's tent. My hands on Bellamy's shoulders as I leaned up to whisper.

"Everything is going to be okay. If something seems wrong, pretend it's all part of the plan." I gave him a quick peck on his cheek, keeping the facade of us being nothing but a couple taking a walk, before drifting away into the shadows. Leaving him standing in an alleyway with questions I didn't want to answer just yet.

Bellamy wouldn't be going with Echo, Echo knew this as did I. Octavia won't let him because I told her that Diyoza would have eyes on anyone close to her and I. Besides, Blodreina would look bad if her own flesh and blood defected.

I hated playing him. But I had to make him believe he could talk his way around it. I needed Octavia distracted for as long as possible.

_______•*•*•*•_______

I knew tonight was big. For more than one group of people.

In one tent, Echo was saying goodbye to Bellamy, Harper, and Monty. In the other, Clarke was frantically searching for a way to get Madi safe.

Below in the bunker, Octavia was preparing her gunners. And somewhere several miles from here Diyoza was flying to come collect broken and scared people.

I sighed, breathing in the night air. My eyes shifted towards the sky were the moon should be. However it was a new moon. Meaning a night of darkness save for the flames flickering here and there dancing in the wind.

My legs hovered over the side of the building as I stared down at the tents below.

"Why is it you believe there is salvation if you follow me?" I asked, looking ahead of me speaking to the sky. The men behind me shift as they come up with an answer.

"Because we have seen you beat darkness. We know you can defeat Blodreina." One finally answered the others mumbling in agreement.

"Is it your wish I kill Blodreina? Or simply help free you from her prison." They grew silent. I inhaled, rising from the rubble. "My enemy lies within that valley. I have no desire to kill Blodreina." I spoke turning to face the three men who have gathered behind me. "However, I desire to set her and you free from the darkness that has contained you in that bunker for six years. To do that you must tell the others to lie low. I do not want to sow rebellion within these ranks. Not yet. Inform the others that they will know when the time comes. And when that time does come, only one of us will remain. Be it Blodreina or be it Wanlida."

The sound of the fog horn pierced the air. It was time. What's done is done. Now there's a war I have to begin.

"Now go. Diyoza is here." The spies slipped back into the shadows before vanishing from the roof top. My shoulders sagging as I relaxed them.

I am honored they have put their trust in me. But I needed them to contain themselves until I stepped up to the plate. I didn't need to swing with a broken bat before the first pitch.

Octavia could not know I was coming. Which is why I sent the spies to throw her's off on a wild goose chase.

The flames flicked dangerously. Their dance turning frantic and maddening as the wind pulled and pushed them. I glared daring the flames to remain. Daring the flames to hold firm through the night.

Hushed whispers grew and people ran from their hideouts below me. Panic, fear, and worry coursed through the air. People frantic like the flames. Like a heart that beat too fast.

And hearts that beat too fast eventually fail.

And then the body dies once the blood is cut off from the head. And unlike the Hydra, man will not rise again.

A flame extinguished indefinitely.

Death cannot be undone.