24

The moment was frozen. A photo captured by the moon and only visible to the stars.

I treaded water as I stared up at the large shadow and to the smaller one beside it. I scratched my left arm with my nail and hissed as blood spotted at the sight. My heart swelling as I saw the red. It was real. He was there. He was here, right in front of me.

Those were his eyes. Green glowing eyes that mirrored mine.

"Erebus."

The smaller shadow tucked inwards towards the large horse. My eyes catching the outline of a smaller brethren to Erebus.

I carefully swam over to the side they stood on, my feet finding purchase on the rocks as I stopped two arms lengths away.

I didn't say anything, only slowly rose my arm out in front of me. Hand open as I waited for Erebus to come to me.

The smaller brown horse leaned closer, almost like it was trying to fit under Erebus. Erebus gently nudged the horse's face before taking a slow step toward me. His neck outstretched as he leaned forward and placed his nose in my palm.

"Hey, buddy." I smiled as I gently pet along his face. My body moving closer so we weren't reaching far. I placed a gentle kiss to his forehead before I glanced at the smaller horse and balked when I realized a few things.

One, the small horse was young. And two,

I was naked.

"Uh. Give me one second." I felt the heat rising in my cheeks as I quickly swam to the other side of the pond towards all of my clothes. I grabbed the new grey shirt I had brought to change into and quickly threw it on as Erebus began to lead his companion towards me. The hem coming around mid thigh as I rung my hair out to try and help it try.

"This is a little more modest." I whispered as I let the two horses walk up to me. Erebus coming much closer than the younger one.

"Hello." I spoke softly as I placed a hand on Erebus, making sure I maintained distance between myself and the younger horse. I didn't know the backstory, but I do know Erebus and I share several things in common.

One of them being we protect our own. I'm not sure, if it came down to it, whether he would hurt me should I so much as act threatening towards the young horse. Though I could see the gleam of curiosity in the young brown eyes. Head turned slightly to stare at me.

"I'm Persphyni. I was Erebus's human." Erebus snorted and I swore he puffed up his chest with pride as I gave a soft laugh and pat him. "I don't know how you two met but I hope at some point we could get to trust one another."

I know. Why the hell am I talking to a horse? Because I feel like it. So deal with it.

I felt Erebus nudge me with his nose. My head turning to look at him as he pushed me again in the back. His push sending me closer to the young horse.

I rose an eyebrow to which he whinnied at and nudged me again. I took a cautious step towards the young horse and stretched my hand out. Just as I had done moments before. Only this time I didn't know if the little one would do it.

Erebus and I watched the smaller horse glance between my palm and Erebus. The horse's eyes flicking between us while debating.

I smiled and slowly began to lower my hand as I realized the horse wasn't going to accept me so early. I know that I wouldn't have.

But I was pleasantly surprised when a nose stopped my downward descent. My eyes widening as the smaller horse stepped closer and shook its head further towards my hand. My palm beginning to gently pet behind it's ears.

"What should I name you little one?" I pondered on the idea as I gently massaged some hair back revealing a small speck of white on his forehead. It was a star.

"I think I've just the name for you." I smiled and looked up towards the night sky. It fit too perfectly.

"Welcome to the family, Star." Erebus gave a loud whinny and shook his head from side to side. Moving around me to come nudge the little horse. I smiled as Erebus playfully pushed the youngster to which Star pushed back.

I took their moment of play to answer another question of mine before turning and walking towards my things.

Star is a female.

_______•*•*•*•_______

I gasped, choking on water. My lungs craving air as I finally reached the surface of the water. My heart thundered in my chest as I glanced over towards the shore that I had seen Erebus and Star. But the two horses weren't there. My Erebus wasn't there.

No. He had died. Just as I should have.

I felt the warmth well in my eye before falling down my cheek.

It wasn't real.

It wasn't real.

My own damn mind betrayed me. Making a wish so real that I couldn't tell the difference. I had even scratched myself.

I looked down to my left arm and saw black blood clotting along the scratch. Not red. Not like in the vision.

Had it been a dream? Did I fall asleep or was I just caught in my own imagination.

I was a fool to feel happy.

I was a fool to believe Erebus made it here alive. He wasn't a Nightblood. He would have died. He did die.

"You flew home." I whispered as I tilted my head back to expose my face to the stars.

The moonlight shining like a spotlight as I let what had happened soak before I pushed it to the back of my mind.

I will always love him. He was my horse and I was his human. He saved me. And I couldn't repay the favor.

With that dream I plan to finally bury and release the weight of Erebus from off my shoulders.

He's with Death now.

And some day, we will meet again.