66

The storm thundered just south of us. Still moving east to west as we rushed Octavia into her tent. Clarke spurting out orders as I stood behind Bellamy and watched. Knowing there wasn't anything I could do more in the moment.

"I need you to get me a stronger tourniquet, with whatever you can find. And get me a med kit." Clarke's voice was high as she stressed over Octavia.

"There were dozens of those worms. They must lay their eggs-" I interrupted her rambling.

"Great observation, Dr. Watson, but not the time!" I snapped at Cooper, shaking her out of her stupor.

"I'm right here. I'm right here." I looked down at Bellamy as he spoke to Octavia. I heard the wavering in his voice. I stepped back further to allow the siblings to have their moment. "We got this."

"Ok." Clarke grabbed the rope from Indra and tightened it around the cloth I had already tied there.

"Will that stop it?" Clarke looked at me asking me to answer Bellamy's question as she focused back on Octavia.

"Bell. It's for the blood. Not the worm." I stepped forward to stand directly behind Bellamy.

"I need a knife, now." I pulled out a throwing knife and ran a cloth over it before passing it to Clarke. Clarke paused before taking it.

"You and I know it'll be sharper than any medical tool." She nodded, most likely remembering how I'd take my sharpening stone with me wherever.

"What are you waiting for?" Octavia groaned in pain.

"Ok, you gotta stop moving." Clarke ordered as she adjusted Octavia's arm in the light. I felt Bellamy's hand move backwards to hold onto my ankle discreetly. My feet shifting forward so he could hold on better. I placed a hand on his shoulder as I stared at Octavia's arm, showing him I was there.

"Clarke, it's now or never." I spoke softly urging her to move quickly.

"Okay. This is going to hurt." The sound of flesh tearing and Octavia's pained groans filled the air as Clarke cut through the skin.

"Clarke, your gonna lose it." Bellamy warned as he saw the worm move up the arm.

"Like hell I am." If this wasn't a pressing matter I would have laughed at her quick response.

Clarke dug her fingers into Octavia's wound. My eyes watching in curiosity as Clarke shouted she had grabbed the worm.

"Clarke, just pull it out." Octavia groaned.

"Please if you hear me, this is an emergency. Come in." I shot a glance at Bellamy's walkie that was going off. I looked up at Clarke ready to ask if it was okay to take it.

"Both of you go. I can handle this."

I nodded and we quickly moved away.

"Monty, it's me. Something tells me we got your emergency beat." Bellamy challenged as we moved away from Octavia.

"I doubt that. The prisoners have an eye in the sky-"

"Shit." I whispered as Bellamy and I looked at each other.

"-On the mothership, and a missile system on their transport ship. They're on their way to you right now."

"Damnit." I hissed as I glared at the walkie. I gently pulled the walkie from Bellamy's grasp and brought it to my lips. "And here I was thinking our first words would be hello. Not more danger."

I heard Bellamy chuckle before clearing his throat as the other end went silent.

"Pers, You guys have to get out of there." I turned towards Octavia as Clarke wrestled with the worm. "Hide somewhere. Take cover."

"Hiding from an eye in the sky sounds damn-near impossible." I voiced the concern Bellamy and I were feeling.

"Murphy says we have a friend inside. If he's right, the eye won't be watching. You have a window, but you have to move now." Shaw?

"If you're right Monty, it seems like I own Murphy a big thank you." I passed the walkie back to Bellamy as I saw Clarke yank the worm free.

"Not as big of a thank you as we owe you." I smiled as I walked away from Monty's voice.

I grabbed an old ration metal container and set it in front of Clarke to dispose of the worm. My hands shutting and tightened the lid in hopes I'd suffocate it before burning it alive in the fire.

"Where do we find cover from missiles in the middle of a wasteland?" Indra roared as I set the jar down. Miller taking the initiative and tightening the lid even further.

"If they see us retreat, they'll stand down." Clarke voiced as I grasped my daggers to avoid running out on the conversation in order to kill the worm.

"You still don't understand. Wonkru does not retreat." My gaze pinned on Octavia at her words. I grew angry. My blood rushed in a fury as I boiled at the words.

"You do if you want to live." Bellamy's voice shook as he begged her to listen.

"It isn't retreating. It's regrouping and taking initiative to rethink things through. It's called being smart. It's called adapting." I growled as I slammed a hand on the table. "In this world you have to adapt to survive. You have to be smart. Or else you'll die."

"Pers." Clarke set a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, that's enough." Cooper voiced out from the other side of Miller. I slowly turned around to face Cooper. My face turning to stone as I burned behind my eyes.

She has no idea who she's dealing with.

A determined, trained assassin - who doesn't need a license to kill. Who will protect her people whatever the cost. Including fighting someone she loves for the betterment of them all.