S I X T Y - T H R E E

July 27, 1997

The day after I was tortured by my own father, Draco had left my room and everything had to resume back as it was.

I had to keep my same routine, no extra recovery time.

It was a little over a week until my birthday now and I was going to have to learn as much as I could.

I had been getting better with dueling and had beaten Draco more than he has beaten me.

Staring in the mirror at my reflection, I had realized how much I had missed.

It had been Summer holidays for the students of Hogwarts. This meant that Daisy was back with her drunk of a mother, Blaise back with the Zabini's -- he wasn't a Death Eater but his parents were, Kayden back with his family, Theo with his, Pansy with ours -- er, I mean hers. Finally, Alana was now roughly almost 2 months pregnant and back with the Woods.

I wonder how they all are. Maybe, they've heard from Potter about what happened on the Astronomy Tower. Snape had confirmed to everyone that he was.

I fixed the thin straps on my black dress and slipped on a hooded cloak and black heels on with it. I gazed at my scarred skin underneath the Dark Mark on my forearm.

Why was I such a mess?

Quickly, I left my room. Potion making went a bit longer than expected and Draco and I had to hurry to get ready for a Death Eater meeting.

Rushing down the stairs, holding my arm, I shuddered. I didn't ever want to enter that Dining Hall ever again.

But I had entered it. I had too.

I made my way to my chair to see that the other Death Eaters other than Snape was sitting at theirs. Lucius Malfoy had come back from Azkaban prison a couple days ago.

There had been a lot of tears from Narcissa and a lot of pained looks from Draco in light of his return.

Lucius had seemed to go back to his old ways when it came to how he treated his family. He had pushed Narcissa away after the first day of his return and yelled at Draco, making him cower.

He had locked them both out and hid away in his study. He only came out for the meetings.

Draco tried asking him to help Narcissa, he tried explaining to Lucius that she had been lonely and sad. Lucius had hit him, I had heard it. The hard slap. It was barbaric.

I took my seat at the long black table, and before my father could say anything, Snape entered. I couldn't quite place the look in his eyes when he sat down.

I had droned out what my father was saying. No doubt it was something about blasted Harry Potter.

Instead, my glare held itself against the other end of the table. I had been tortured there only a week and a bit ago. I felt a lump arise in my throat but kept a tight composure.

"This is a false trail," Snape hushed Yaxley. "The Auror office no longer plays in the protection of Harry Potter. Those closest to him believe we have infiltrated the Ministry."

A Death Eater I didn't know the name of laughed. "They got that right, didn't they?"

The table erupted into a thick burst of laughter. Bellatrix's cackles were most noticeable.

I looked around the table to see that the only people not laughing were the Malfoys and I.

My father shut it down quickly, wanting to get back to business. "What say you, Pius?"