Thanksgiving- The Stars That Night

I rang the doorbell, and Silas pulled the door open almost immediately. I stared at him in surprise.

               "I saw your car comin'," he said. "If I have to suffer this, so do you."

               "Well, uh, happy Thanksgiving," I said, entering his house.

               My family was doing Thanksgiving dinner later than usual today, so I'd agreed to go to Silas's for their early dinner. It was just him, Ray, and Ray's parents.

               "She keeps trying to hug me," Silas said.

               "She's your grandma. Of course she wants to hug you," I said.

               Silas grumbled something I didn't catch, leading me into Ray's kitchen. Ray looked up from setting the table.

               "Hey, Garrett," he greeted.

               "Hi Ray! Hi Mr. and Mrs. Edmon!" I said.

               "Hi Garrett! Here, have a drink," Mrs. Edmon said, grabbing a cup and pushing it into my hands. "There's soda there, water there, and juice and milk in the fridge."

               "Thank you," I said, pouring myself some soda. Silas picked up his cup, looking moody as he sipped on it. I nudged him. "Did you make anything?"

               "Dessert," he said, dropping his gaze. "I made these peanut butter ball things. Ray showed me."

               "Oh, my mother used to make them for the kids," Mrs. Edmon said. "Ray used to eat them until he'd feel sick."

               "Could've just said 'Ray really liked them'," Ray said, glaring at her.

               "He used to get the chocolate from them all over his fingers," Mr. Edmon said. "I remember one Thanksgiving when he was little, he got the chocolate all over my shirt when I picked him up. Messiest kid ever."

               "Clearly you've never seen Silas eat," Ray said.

               "Hey, shut it. I ain't that messy," Silas said.

               "I am," I said. "No shame. I see food, and I lose focus of manners."

               "Well prepare to lose focus of your manners, because we've got to set the table. Mom, you're on gravy duty. Dad, get the mashed potatoes. Si, you've got the stuffing. Garrett, you grab...I don't know, the olives or something. I'll carve the turkey," Ray said.

               We all moved around the kitchen, putting out food and drinks as Ray fought to carve up the turkey. Mr. Edmon went over to help him once we had the rest of the food out. For only five of us, there was a ton of food, and I knew I was about to gain way too much weight today.

               "Hey, you can come to my place later if you want," I said to Silas as we took our seats at the table. "Just, uh, Jack and his dad will be there."

               Silas scowled. "Ain't gonna deal with them."

               "We're going to Garrett's later, so you better learn how to deal with them," Ray called. "If I can go this long without punching Paul Waymire in the face, you can go a few hours without punching Jack Waymire in the face."

               "Still having trouble with that neighbor?" Mrs. Edmon asked.

               "I never knew someone who barely speaks a word could be so obnoxious," Ray said.