Christmas- Alone Together

"Alexis, Alexis!"

I cracked my eyes open as Micah shook me. His face was bright with excitement and he threw his arms around my neck as I started to sit up.

"Merry Christmas!" he said.

I hooked an arm around him, hugging him against my chest. "Merry Christmas, Micah."

He pulled away and looked up at me nervously. "Do you think Santa came?"

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and nodded. "I'm sure he did. You've been really good all year."

"But do you think he knows where I live?" Micah asked, fidgeting with his hands.

"Of course. I didn't want to spoil the surprise but...I sent him a letter for you," I said, offering Micah a smile.

His eyes widened. "You did?"

I nodded. "Uh-huh. I wanted to make sure he knew where you lived and what you really wanted."

He hugged me tightly again. "Thank you so much, Lex!"

I got out of bed, setting Micah on the ground and holding his hand. "Hey, why don't we go down and see what he brought you?"

I felt bad, since I couldn't afford to give Micah a good Christmas. I'd worked extra hours for a few weeks to get some extra cash to buy him some new clothes and toys. But it was a pathetic looking pile under our little tree and I just hoped that he wasn't disappointed by it.

We walked down the stairs together and Micah hesitated, squeezing my hand a little tighter and going into the living room. He spotted the tree and his eyes widened. I felt the same surprise as him, though.

The small pile of presents under the tree had grown a bit overnight. I hadn't bought all of those presents. That meant...

"Merry Christmas," Ike said, lounging on the couch. "About time the kid woke up."

"I think it was Alexis sleeping in," Ace said, smirking. "Look at the kid's face. He's probably been up for hours."

"I wish I had slept in," Jer grumbled.

"Don't we all," Christian said.

They were sitting around the living room in their pajamas, all of them holding a mug of hot chocolate. The cookies I had baked with Micah were open and being passed around between them.

"Merry Christmas," I said, shooting all of them a grateful look.

I led Micah over to the tree and we sat down together. I handed him a present and we all watched as he opened them, his face lighting up at the clothes and toys he was getting.

It wasn't much, and something told me that his mother had always given him a good Christmas, but it was the most we could do for him. He'd gotten a nice, warm jacket, some new jeans and shirts, and some toys and games.

"Now we won't have to color all day," Ace said as Micah looked at some of his new stuff.

"We can play this game, Ace!" Micah said, holding up Mouse Trap. "And look! I got Pokémon toys!" Micah turned and hugged me, nuzzling his head against my chest. "Thank you for telling Santa what I wanted." He smiled up at me. "I'm really happy, Lex."

I pulled him into my lap. "I'm glad you like your stuff," I said, relieved at how happy he looked right now.

"I bet Santa would've brought you even more, but he's trying to keep you modest," Ike said, grabbing another cookie and taking a bite.

"Did he bring you presents?" Micah asked curiously.

Ace grinned. "No. We've all been bad boys. We got coal."

Micah frowned. "I'll share my stuff with you guys!"

"We don't need it. Be a brat and keep it for yourself," Jer said, kicking the container of cookies at Micah. "And be an even bigger brat and eat cookies for breakfast just to piss Alexis off."

Micah reached in and handed me a cookie. I took it from him, biting into it and watching as he grabbed one for himself.

Ike and Christian left the room and came back a moment later carrying all of the gifts we had bought for each other. They passed them out to everyone and we began to unwrap.

The gifts weren't extravagant. But some were practical and all were considerate. We got jackets, shoes, gift cards, favorite alcohol, warm blankets, and other things.

"Merry Christmas," Christian said once we had finished opening gifts. Micah was curled in my lap, still cheerful since I had asked him to help me open my presents.

"Thank you guys," I said, looking at the gifts they had gotten me.

"Why the fuck isn't A Christmas Story playing?" Jer demanded.

"Because if it was, you'd shoot your eye out, kid," Ace said, snickering when Jer threw a pillow at him.

"Here," Ike said, handing me and Micah hot chocolate.

"Thanks," Micah said, blowing on it before cautiously taking a sip. He blushed and looked down. "Um, Ike?"

"Yea? What?" Ike asked.

"I hope you get to see your brother today. I hope you have a good Christmas," Micah said.

Ike reached out, lightly slapping his palm to Micah's forehead. "Alexis is turning you into a sappy guy." He stood up and lightly nudged Micah with his foot. "I do get to see my brother today. It'll be a good Christmas. Maybe as good as yours. Santa was pretty good to you, kid."

"He was!" Micah said. Micah turned to me and reached out, taking a light fistful of my shirt. "Mommy always said family was more important than presents. She said that was why Santa didn't bring me a lot of presents."

"She was right," I said, smiling at him. "Merry Christmas, Micah. I love you."

"I love you, Lex!" He looked over at the other guys. "Merry Christmas everyone!"

I knew Christian and Ike would leave to spend time with their surviving family members. Jer would leave for a little to spend time with his parents. Ace and I would be alone with Micah since the three of us had no family to visit.

But we had each other. Right now, we were sitting around, Jer setting up a movie as Ike moved around filling up everyone's mugs with hot chocolate, Christian kicking the container of cookies into another round for everyone. It was familiar to me by this point.

I wrapped my arms around Micah, smiling down at him before resting my chin on his head. The holidays were a lonely time when you had lost people you'd loved. But I wasn't without a family. I had a great family of brothers.

"Merry Christmas," I said to them, and they all offered me their own smiles in return.