Father's Day- The Only Faith

Leon laid in bed, wondering if this Father's Day would be different. This Father's Day his dad knew the truth of his sexuality. The Father's Day his dad was probably still hurt from Leon's betrayal.

                Still, Leon could hear people moving around downstairs and that meant his brother had probably shown up. They'd be expecting him by now.

                Leon got out of bed and hurried to dress himself neatly. He went downstairs, where the rest of his family was waiting.

                "You're slow," Adam said. "Learn to be more punctual, Leon."

                "Oh, enough," Leon's mother, Abby, said, swatting at Adam. "Leon, would you please help your sister bring up the stuff from the basement?"

                Leon nodded and followed Caroline down to the basement. They'd bought their father his favorite desserts and stashed them away where he wouldn't find them.

                "You're quiet," Caroline said, nudging Leon. "Everything okay?"

                "Yea," Leon lied, smiling at her. "Sorry, just a bit distracted."

                "Hey." Caroline pulled him to a stop. "Dad still loves you."

                Leon dropped his gaze. He had always wondered if his siblings envied him for the different upbringing he'd had. His father was much more open with his love for Leon.

                They grabbed the desserts and went upstairs together. Leon couldn't stop thinking about Brennan, wondering how he was doing today. It had to be a hard day for him.

                They brought the desserts to the living room, where Constance was lounging on the couch. He smiled politely at them as they set the desserts on the coffee table in front of Constance.

                "Happy Father's Day," Caroline said, mirroring his polite smile.

                "Thank you," Constance said, sitting up.

                "Happy Father's Day," Adam said, handing over the group gift they'd bought for their dad.

                Constance opened the gift, a new printer and a bottle of his favorite whiskey. Constance set the gifts down.

                "Thank you, all of you," he said. "We'll be leaving for dinner at quarter of five."

                "Don't be late, Leon," Adam said.

                "Oh, Adam," Abby said in exasperation. "Shoo, get out of here. You and Caroline go clean up the file room so your father doesn't have to."

                Leon knew he was only being excused because he wasn't raised to take over the Academy. The files weren't his job, and there was no reason for him to learn his father's intricate filing system. He also suspected it was punishment for stealing from the file room to help Beckett blackmail the headmaster.

                Leon waited until his siblings were out of the room before he pulled out the card he'd bought. He held it out to Constance.

                Constance took it and opened it, not saying a word. His eyes scanned over the words Leon had written, lingering on the sign off of "Happy Father's Day, I love you". He set the card down with his other gifts.

                "Thank you, Leon," he said, his voice a dismissal.

                "Dad, I'm sorry," Leon said, feeling tired. How long could his father keep punishing him for what he'd done? For what he was?

                Constance stood up. "You'll have to make very hard decisions in life, Leon. They'll all have consequences. You're still a boy, so you're too foolish to weigh those consequences."

                "I'm not foolish for what I did," Leon said, holding his ground. "The man I saw threatening my friends was not the dad I always looked up to."

                "I have a very difficult job. I have to be willing to make hard calls like that." Constance picked up the whiskey, looking like he was debating having some. But he set it back down and sat on the couch again. "Every man has different sides to him. Every person you look up to will have a side that disgusts you, and so you will turn your back to it and focus on the good. I'm your father, Leon, but I was not raised to be your father. I was raised to be the headmaster of Constance Academy."

                "You're not a bad man," Leon said, feeling that exhausting mix of patience and exasperation that always warred inside of him. "You didn't go through with it."

                Constance opened one of the desserts and offered it to Leon. "I am proud of you. I just worry about you. I've dealt with plenty of kids in my career, but I've never met anyone like you, Leon. I don't want to see you fall in with the Maroons."

                "But dad, the world isn't split into Blues and Maroons," Leon said. "You're right that every man has different sides to him. You can't slap a vest on people and say that they're all good or all bad."

                Constance gave a small, rueful smile. "We have time before dinner. Why not put on a movie? I haven't seen The Lion King in a while."

                Leon smiled, an honest smile. Constance would burn his own Academy to the ground if it meant protecting the pure innocence of that smile.

                Leon put the movie on and sat next to Constance on the couch. He would text Brennan before he left for dinner and make sure Brennan was doing okay today. He considered texting Beckett, too, but he knew Beckett would just tell him to fuck off.

                Constance put an arm around Leon, offering him the desserts again. This time, Leon dug in, glad beyond belief that his actions hadn't ruined the relationship with his father.

                "I love you, dad," Leon said.

                George Constance was a man with ulterior motives behind every word, every action, every single thing he ever did.

                But there was no ulterior motive, nothing but the truth, when he said, "I love you too, Leon."

-----------------------------------

A.N.- Happy Father's Day everyone! I'm not sure how busy I'll be today so I might get another Father's Day special or two written, but no promises