Thanksgiving- Alone Together

"Alexis! I think something is on fire!" Ike called.

I sighed and lifted Micah into my arms, carrying him downstairs. Sure enough, the smell of smoke hit me as I neared the kitchen.

"What's on fire?" I asked, entering the kitchen.

"Never mind. I got it," Ike said, shutting the oven.

Ace checked the time. "Christian and Jer will be back soon."

"The food is almost ready," Ike said, turning the stove off and putting a lid on something. "Set the table."

Ace got up and grabbed some plates. I set Micah down and got the silverware. Ace and I set the table together, Micah watching us.

"Can I help?" he asked timidly.

"Can you put a napkin next to every plate?" I asked.

He brightened and nodded. "I can do that, Lex!"

Ace lifted him up, causing Micah to let out a giggle. Ace carried him over to the counter, watching as Micah grabbed the napkins. He set Micah down and Micah hurried over to the table, setting napkins down for everyone.

Ace was in a good mood today. I knew that, growing up, his father had been very strict about them spending Thanksgiving together as a family. I could only imagine the mental torture Ace had endured being trapped with his father for an entire day.

Christian was currently eating with his grandfather. He'd come back in a little and pick at the meal we had made. But he always made sure his grandpa wasn't alone on holidays.

Jer had gone to visit his parents and bring them food. He never stayed there very long because he hated seeing the messes his parents had become.

Ike had been Skyping with his family for a little while Ace and I had cooked. He'd taken over the cooking when he was done so that I could myself and Micah ready.

"You haven't told the dessert story yet," I told Ace, sitting at the table. "You're breaking tradition."

Every year, Ace told me the same story. Every year, it'd make me laugh. It had become a tradition for us, one of the many small things that gave us a sense of familiarity.

"I wanted to keep you in suspense," Ace said, leaning back in his chair. "Alright, so, the day before Thanksgiving one year, my dad and aunt left me and my cousin Phil alone in the kitchen. Phil was 5 and I was 9. My dad had been making dessert at my aunt's house since my aunt didn't like celebrating holidays. Well, Phil was trying to sneak some of the dessert and ended up spilling a pile of magazines onto the floor in the process. He crawled onto the counter and was trying to get the dessert, but I jumped up and grabbed him so we wouldn't get in trouble. Little idiot starts flailing and yelling at me to let go of him and knocks over the dessert and three candles. The magazines catch on fire and lit the dessert on fire. Smoke detectors go off and my dad and aunt run into the room freaking out. My dad has a freaking panic attack and yanks me away from the fire while my aunt tries to put it out. Oh shit, were we in trouble that year."

I laughed, imagining a young Ace setting the kitchen on fire. Ike sat down with us, rolling his eyes.

"Genius from a young age," he said.