Christmas- Conversion Academy/Our Own Mistakes

"I hate the winter," I announced, my breath visible in the air.

               "But the winter means you have an excuse to cuddle," Kaz pointed out.

               "I love the winter," I announced.

               Mikayla rolled her eyes. "It's not even that cold out. It's supposed to be even colder next week."

               "Ya know, that doesn't make this any better," I said, cowering behind Kaz when she shot me a glare. "You could break every bone in my body if you threw a snowball at me with those steroid advertisements you call arms."

               "Malley, maybe take a page out of Silent Night, yea?" Kaz said.

               "This is so dumb. Why are we even going to the Constance Academy Christmas party?" Beckett said. "We could've just bought snacks and done our own party in the dorm."

               "I'm not passing up on the chance to eat free food all night," Leo said.

               "I pay enough in tuition here that I deserve free food," I said.

               The Academy held a Christmas party every year, but usually separated the older kids and the younger kids. This year, thanks to the building the younger kids' party was usually in being under renovation, they'd decided to host a joint party.

               I was looking forward to food, but not a bunch of kids running around. Especially not if they were as terrifying as Beckett.

               We reached the building the party was being held in, where some students were milling about outside. We went inside, the room so warm that it felt nice after the chill of the night air.

               The large, open room was surprisingly full. Tables were claimed and conversations carried around the room. Long tables lined the walls, filled with food and drinks. Teachers walked about monitoring the place and talking with each other.

               "Where are we supposed to sit?" Pete said with a frown.

               Mikayla was scanning around and she brightened, waving to someone. "Oh, there's Cara!"

               "Whomst?" I said.

               "My roommate," Mikayla said. "Come on, there are some empty seats there. We can sit with her."

               "Oh, hell no. No way. You really think Hal Waymire will deal with Killian?" Leo said.

               "Hi, yes, I am Killian and I have no idea who any of these people are," I said.

               "Cara is in our rotation," Kaz said, raising an eyebrow. "You met her on your first day here."

               "Ah, yes," I said. "...whomst?"

               "Oh, just come on. And try not to be too annoying. Her friends already don't like outsiders hanging around them," Mikayla said.

               "I'm going to die," I said miserably. "Merry Christmas to me."

               "You'll be fine. Honestly, Beckett has more reason to complain," Kaz said.

               "That's because that Wyatt kid always tries to talk to me!" Beckett said, scowling. "We're not even the same age."

               "Uh, hello?" I said, gesturing to the group of 17 year olds he regularly hung out with.

               Beckett took out his yo-yo. I ducked behind Kaz.