Father's Day- The Stars That Night

"Daddy!" six year old Garrett cried, launching forward to hug his dad.

               "Hey buddy," Mr. Grimaldi said, kissing his head. "Where are your friends?"

               "Over there, daddy," Garrett said, grabbing his father's hand and dragging him over to where the other boys were sitting with their dads.

               "Hey, Grimaldi," Mr. Riku greeted. "I got lucky with the school's Father's Day picnic this year. Akira's is in the morning, and Kaito's is later in the afternoon, so I don't have to split my time and leave either of them alone."

               "That's awesome," Mr. Grimaldi said, sitting down and letting Garrett crawl into his lap. Garrett looked content once his father hooked an arm around him.

               He turned to his dad, beaming a smile and signing out "Happy Father's Day". Mr. Grimaldi smiled and kissed his head again, signing back "I love you".

               "Hey, where are you going, dad?" Chester asked as Mr. Waymire started to get up.

               "Work," Mr. Waymire said, nodding at the time.

               Chester grabbed his dad's arm and tugged him back down so he was sitting. "No! Stay here. You don't have to go back to work. Just take a long lunch break, daddy."

               Mr. Waymire stared at Chester for a moment before sitting back down, texting on his phone for a moment, and then silencing it and shoving it in his pocket. Chester looked extremely pleased, and sat so he was leaning against his father.

               "Dad, look, I made you a card," Akira said, holding it out to his dad. He looked proud of himself. "I spelled out every word all by myself!"

               "Wow, thank you Akira," Mr. Riku said, reading through the card. "Awesome spelling, Kira! I love this card." He hugged his son.

               "I made you a card too, daddy. But mommy said to save it for Sunday," Garrett said.

               "Was it supposed to be a surprise?" Mr. Grimaldi asked.

               Garrett furrowed his brow. "Oops."

               Mr. Grimaldi laughed. "That's okay. I'll pretend I'm surprised so mommy doesn't know you told me early."

               Garrett hugged his father tightly, nuzzling his head against his chest. "I love you, daddy."

               "I love you too, Gar," Mr. Grimaldi said, hugging Garrett tightly, wondering how he'd gotten so lucky to have a son like Garrett.

                                                                                          *

               Six year old Silas peeked into the living room. His dad, Luke, sat on the couch with a beer in hand and the TV on.

               "Dad?" Silas asked, coming into the room, holding out a slip of paper. "My teacher gave this to me. She said she needs to know if you're comin' to the Father's Day picnic."

               Luke snatched the paper from Silas and crumbled it in his hands. "I already told you I ain't going to your stupid picnic. And you're gonna keep bothering me about it? You know how lucky you are, kid? How many of your friends have a dad in their life, huh? Ain't many of them around here, I'll tell you that. Most of them bummed off after they bust a fucking nut in some whore. And you wanna sit here whining 'cause you got a dad too busy going to work to come to your stupid fucking picnic? Ask me again and I'll knock your damn teeth out to shut you up. Whiny little bitch boy."