Halloween- Social Menace

"Boo!" I yelled, jumping out from my hiding spot.

                The two little kids in front of me squealed and stumbled back. Their fear faded quickly as they looked at my friendly costume and they giggled to themselves, reaching for their parents' hands as they continued on through the haunted house.

                The Social Action Club volunteered every year at the local haunted house, splitting members between the children friendly house and the actual scary house. Tyson, Bishopp, and I were the three stuck in the children house, but I didn't mind it. The kids seemed to be having a good time.

                "Hey, they're halting the lines at both houses for about twenty minutes," Tyson said, coming over to me. "Some display going on they want people to come watch."

                "Tyson Strazio, where are your glasses?" Bishopp said as he came out of his spot.

                "I've been wearing them the entire time," Tyson said with that charming smile of his, pulling the sunglasses out of his pocket and flashing them at Bishopp.

                "You're the biggest liar I've ever met. Put them on when we come back," Bishopp said.

                The director of the haunted houses told Tyson he had to wear sunglasses to protect his good eye. He said it was rare for the younger kids to strike out in fear, but if they did, he didn't want Tyson's eye getting injured.

                Tyson, naturally, hated the idea and refused to wear the glasses. I did feel bad for him, but I also understood why the director wanted him wearing those glasses.

                "Let's go get the others out of their haunted house," Tyson said, checking the time. "We'll have a few minutes to grab a cider and some snacks before we get back to work."

                The three of us left the house and crossed over to the real haunted house. Lights inside were flashing, smoke slipping out of cracks in the windows and doors. Tyson took us to the back entrance, flashing his ID badge to the security there.

                We entered the basement of the house, maneuvering around the decorations there. It was a little more lit up, as this was where participants would exit. But it was still hard to see, and I stuck close to Tyson in case he tripped over anything.

                We searched around, knowing at least one of our members should be hiding in the basement for a final scare. There were plenty of hiding places, and I wished we'd just waited for them to meet us outside. I'd never liked haunted houses.

                Just as that thought crossed my mind, a hand suddenly darted out of the stack of mannequins I was walking past, grabbing my shoulder, a terrifying masked face moving into my field of view. I let out a yell, stumbling back and falling right on my ass.

                "Oh, man, that was fun," Talon said, pulling the mask off and laughing. "You should've seen your face!"

                He yelped as a mannequin fell on him and knocked him down. Tyson leaned his arm against the shoulder of another mannequin.

                "My bad. Hard to see in the dark," he said.

                "You're an ass," Talon grumbled, getting back to his feet.

                "Please don't ever do that to me again, I will die," I said, slapping a hand over my racing heart. Tyson held his hand out to me and hauled me back to my feet.