Halloween Special- Will & Ethan

"Sonnet, where are your clothes?" I demanded.

"Oh please, men can show their nipples all they want and no one blinks a damn eye," Sonnet said. "For your information, William, I am more covered than most girls on Halloween."

My little sister was currently wearing a costume that was way too revealing. I was surprised my mom hadn't wrapped her in a blanket and demanded she change.

"Aren't you going out tonight?" she asked.

I brightened a little. "Yea, I'm going out with my friends. A guy I work with in the film club is having this awesome party." But then something hit me, and I frowned. "Sonnet, what's Ethan doing tonight? I never asked him."

"You're such a shitty boyfriend," she said. "Benji and Gideon are going to a party at one of the soccer player's houses. And I'm obviously going out with some friends. Ethan said he was doing something at home with his parents."

Sometimes the urge to punch my sister was overwhelming.

"Sonnet!" I said angrily.

"What?" she asked. "He's busy tonight. We all are."

"Whenever Ethan says he's doing something with his parents, it means that he has no plans and just doesn't want to bother anyone," I said, scowling at her. That stubborn moron couldn't just say he didn't have plans.

"He'll be fine, Will. I have to go," Sonnet said and left.

I groaned and raked a hand through my hair. I was already dressed up for this Halloween party. Phoenix and I were going as Connor and Murphy from The Boondock Saints.

But Ethan had no plans for the night, which meant he was probably spending it alone in his room. I couldn't let Ethan spend the night alone. I'd been neglecting him enough lately, spending less time with him as I started hanging out with my friends more.

I sighed and pulled out my phone, dialing Phoenix's number. I waited as it rang, hoping he wouldn't be too pissed.

"Hey Will," he answered. "You about ready?"

"I can't go, Phoenix," I said.

"What? Why not? Will, we've been looking forward to this for over a month!" he said.

"I know, I know. But something came up. I need to go see Ethan," I said.

"Is he in the hospital again?" Phoenix asked.

"No, he's fine. Well, actually, that pain in the ass is never fine. Whatever, I just need to go make sure he's okay tonight," I said.

Phoenix was silent for a moment. Was he mad at me? Shit.

"Hey, Will," he said at last. "I'm glad he annoyed you. You've changed since you met him. I've never seen you care about anyone so much before. It's good for you. I'll see you later, okay? Asher can be my murderous twin for the night." He didn't sound angry at all as he hung up the phone, which I was grateful for.

I left my house and drove myself down to Ethan's. I went up and rang the doorbell.

Mary answered and smiled at me. "Well, you're not a trick or treater. What are you doing here, Will?"

"Where's Ethan?" I asked.

"He's in his room." She bit her lip and gave me an apologetic smile. "I'm glad you're here. He looked so lonely. All his friends had somewhere to be tonight. That boy breaks my heart sometimes."

She let me in and I went down to Ethan's room. I let myself in and was glad I came here.

Ethan was curled on his bed, face buried against his pillow, headphones in. His TV was on, but it was muted as Scream played.

I went over and shook him roughly. He jerked his head up and pulled his headphones out.

"Why are you here? I thought you had a party," he said in confusion.

"You're stuck with me," I said, sitting next to him.

"I knew you couldn't resist my dashing good looks," he said.

I shoved him over and laid down next to him. "Turn the volume on. I love this movie."

"This movie is terrible," Ethan said, unmuting it. "It's so cheesy."

"It's a great movie," I said defensively.

Ethan curled up with me. "Are you supposed to be in costume?"

"I'm Murphy, from Boondock Saints," I said.

"Oh, so you've finally decided to murder me," he said. "The sin of lust will be my undoing."

I scowled. "You damn flirt."

"I'll share my Halloween candy with you and we can watch horror movies," he said. "Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, American Werewolf In London, Stephen King stuff...whatever you want."

"I like that idea," I said, putting an arm around him.

I kissed his cheek, glad I had come here tonight. He didn't deserve to be alone, especially on a holiday that was supposed to be fun.

"Happy Halloween, you movie addict," he said, handing me the remote.

"Yea. Happy Halloween, Ethan," I said, pulling him closer to myself.