Conversion Academy Prequel Snippet

A.N.- Alright, so I wanted to post a little excerpt from the Kaz prequel (I really haven't written that much, only like 4 pages). But this is just a sneak peek at what it would be like if this story got posted.

If you guys don't like the feel, that's fine, I can stick to prompts for this. If you can't really tell just from this short piece I can post another snippet later as I write more.

It wouldn't be posted until I finish Conversion Academy, and the two books can be read in either order. So please, let me know what you prefer after reading this little bit!

----------------------------

I started to move towards him but Lily caught my arm. She yanked me back and placed her hands on her hips- her signature pissed-off move.

"Kaz, I was joking!" she snapped. "Don't really go off with them. They're bad for you and you know it."

"I'm just going to play hero and stop Aaron from killing that kid," I said dismissively.

"Stop acting like I'm stupid. I know you're just doing it to keep Aaron from getting into trouble," she said, but stepped aside.

I moved across the hall and leaned against the locker next to the terrified kid. "Hey, Aaron."

"Kaz!" he said cheerfully. "You're just in time to help me hold down Marco."

"Hold him down some other time," I said, trying to judge what mood Aaron was in. If I touched him when he was in the wrong mood, I'd be the one getting hit. "We need to talk about tonight."

"Mmm, can't that conversation wait?" he said, nodding towards Marco. "I'm a bit preoccupied."

"Well, you can be preoccupied with someone else," I said, deciding not to risk touching him. With Aaron, it was best if you let him initiate contact.

Aaron contemplated it and released Marco. Marco didn't hesitate to bolt down the hallway and out of sight.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're horribly boring?" Aaron asked.

"You have. So many times I'm starting to lose count," I said.

"Good. I'll keep tally for you and see how long it takes for it to get through your thick head. It can be like a science experiment." He leaned against the lockers next to me. "Now, what about tonight?"

"What were you planning to do?" I asked.

Aaron let out an overdramatically long sigh. "Kaz, Kaz, Kaz. You've got to learn not to plan so much in advance. Let things happen in the moment." He slung an arm around my shoulders, a gesture that was usually friendly when others did it, but threatening when Aaron did it. It put him in a good position to choke you. "We're going to drive around and see what happens. Either you're in, or you're out."

"He's not out," Bruce said. "He can't back out. He said yesterday that he was in."

Aaron's arm dropped from my shoulder and his smile grew as he spun around and slammed his brother into the lockers. The sound was so loud that kids in the hallway stared in startled surprise.

"Brucie, buddy, Kaz and I were having a chat and I don't recall you being a part of it," Aaron said.

"Oh, fuck out of here with that, Aaron. You don't scare me," Bruce said, shoving Aaron off. "Whatever, you're more trigger happy than usual. Vic and I will wait for you in the car. If you take too long you can walk home."

Bruce and Vic took off out of sight. Aaron turned back to me and put his arm back around my shoulders, tapping his lip thoughtfully.

"Where were we, where were we..." he mumbled. "Oh! Right, tonight. You're in, yes?"

"I'm in," I said with a nod, ducking away from his arm. "But not until tonight. I have to go be a good son and help my parents with dinner."

Aaron let out a laugh that reminded me of wind howling through an old building. "You, a good son? Kaz, you're a thief."

"Thieves can still be good sons," I said, shrugging. "I am not ashamed to admit I love my family. Just because you want to murder yours in their sleep, it doesn't mean I want to do the same to mine."

"Fair enough point. I'll text you when we're on our way tonight," Aaron said before turning and disappearing down the hall, kids hurrying out of his way.

"Great idea Kaz, go out with them at night. I'll be sure to start looking for your body first thing in the morning," Lily said, coming over to me with absolutely no shame that she'd just eavesdropped on that whole conversation.

"I would never let Aaron kill me. It would upset my mom," I said.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Somedays, I hope Aaron will kill you just so I can help."

"You're a great best friend, you know that?"

"After putting up with you for as long as I have, I deserve a damn award."

"How about a ride home?"

"Let me DJ and we'll call it even."

I tossed her my phone and grinned. "Deal."

She caught it and sighed. "Kaz Warrick, you are going to die before you turn 16. Aaron Kizziar is going to be your downfall."

I looked at the spot Aaron had pinned Marco to. "You're probably right. But I'll enjoy the ride until the whole thing crashes and burns."