Thanksgiving- The Stars That Night

"Here, put this somewhere," mom said, shoving a bowl of olives into my hands.

                "Is my mouth a good spot?" I asked, popping an olive in my mouth.

                "No!" mom said, snatching them from me and hurrying away.

                Michigan wagged his tail as I sat next to him to pet him. I could hear my family talking in the dining room and living room. Our Thanksgivings were never big, but I always enjoyed getting to see my family.

                "Hey, Gar," dad said as he entered the room. "When are Ray and Silas coming?"

                "Soon," I said, checking my phone. "They should be on their way. Ray said he was just dropping his parents off at their friend's house before they came."

                "Mom's getting the dessert out," dad said. "I saved you a few of the peanut butter cookies for later."

                "Yes!" I cheered. "You're the best."

                He pat my shoulder before moving along to grab some dessert to bring out. I balanced my phone on my knee and went back to petting Michigan.

                We'd invited Silas and his family for dinner and dessert. Silas said they had dinner with his grandparents, but that his grandparents went to visit a close friend who lived alone after dinner, so he and Ray could come for dessert.

                After about two minutes, my phone buzzed and I caught it before it fell off my knee. I gave Michigan one last scratch behind the ears before getting up and going to the front door, pulling it open.

                "Oh, wow," I said in surprise, looking at Silas.

                It's not that Silas never dressed nice or anything; he was just more likely to wear jeans and plain shirts. But now he was dressed in dark jeans and a button up shirt, his hair neat. He looked incredibly handsome.

                "Thanks for having us. We brought some pie," Ray said, handing it to me. "It's, uh..."

                "He didn't make it," Silas said. "Grandma made it an' Ray just took it to bring here."

                Ray glared at him. "Alright big mouth, some of us were busy cooking Thanksgiving dinner for two days. You could've made dessert. You knew we were coming here."

                "It's apple pie," Silas said, stepping into the house with Ray.

                I laughed a little. "You guys didn't have to bring anything, but thank you! Happy Thanksgiving, by the way. How was your dinner?"

                "Miserable," Silas grumbled.

                "It was fine. My mom flustered over Silas and treated me like an actual small child," Ray said. "Just the usual."

                "Aw come on, you said you don't see them often. I'm sure it was nice to have them here for the holiday," I said.

                "It was for the first five minutes," Ray said with a sigh. He glanced at Silas and shrugged. "It is nice. They don't have to come up, but they like to see us."

                "Send 'em a picture next time," Silas said.

                "Shut up and be grateful your grandparents want to be around you, you punk ass kid," Ray said.