Mother' Day- Fixing The Scatter

Dad opened my bedroom door and peeked in. "Hey Jude, you about ready to go?"

                I turned to face him and he gave me a sad smile. He stepped into my room and came over, fixing the collar of my shirt.

                "You look really handsome," he said. "God, you're so grown up."

                "I couldn't be a child forever," I said.

                We were stopping by my grandmother's and then meeting Staz and his family for dinner. Our parents thought it'd be nice to have a joint dinner.

                I followed dad downstairs and mom looked over at me. She came over and smoothed down my hair.

                "You're always so messy," she said, placing her hand on my shoulder and guiding me out the front door and over to the car, a small, affectionate touch.

                We got in the car and drove down to my grandma's. It was early, so only a few of my cousins and their parents were there, but I was still dreading this.

                We went into her house, my mom gripping the card she'd bought far too tightly. We went into the living room, where several of my cousins were sitting with their parents and our grandma.

                Grandma smiled at mom but it slipped as she spotted me. "Tatiana, I told you to stop bringing that boy around."

                "That boy is my son and it's mother's day," mom said coldly.

                Dad stepped closer to me, looking fiercely protective. But he left the talking to my mom.

                "I don't want him here. We're trying to enjoy a nice day. We don't need a faggot around when there are going to be kids," grandma said, voice as cold as my mom's.

                Mom threw the card at grandma. "That's all you're getting and you're lucky you're even getting that. How dare you call my son a faggot? The only tragedy is that those kids are going to be around you and your disgusting ideals. If Jude isn't welcome in this family, neither am I."

                She grabbed my arm and tugged me out as my cousins began to whisper in excitement. Dad followed us and we got in the car, backing out of the driveway.

                "Jude?" dad said in concern.

                "I'm over her," I said dismissively. It hurt, but good riddance to the old hag.

                "Pay her no mind. She's a bitter old woman who's too judgmental to see when she has something good in her life," mom said.

                We pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant and got out of the car. Mom gestured at dad to go ahead, but caught my arm when I tried to follow him.

                She fixed my shirt so it wasn't scrunched up at the shoulder. "Her opinion of you is clouded by a homophobic upbringing. It's her loss. Let her be the only one who suffers for it."

                She turned and walked away. I followed after her and we went into the restaurant, finding my dad with Staz's family in a quiet section in the back.

                Staz got up and came over to me. "Hi Jude."

                "Hi Staz," I said, kissing his cheek.